FW: review of Wayne Greenhaw's newest in Library Journal

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2005
      From: Jodi Poe <jpoe@...>
      To: Alabama Library Association Listserv <ALALA-L@...>
      Sent: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:37:33 -0500
      Subject: [ALALA-L:1503] Southern author receives star review
      Posted on behalf of ALLA President, Jane Garrett
      Wayne Greenhaw, a Southern author who lives in Montgomery, Alabama and
      the author of several books received a star review.
      When I looked up website of Alabama Library Association I found all
      three of these email addresses for the current president. I want to
      alert the offices of the Library Association about the starred review in
      the Library Journal of a new book I co-authored that will be published
      next month. I have taken the liberty of copying it below:

      *WILLIAMS, DONNIE WITH WAYNE GREENHAW. The Thunder of Angels: The
      Montgomery Bus Boycott and the People Who Broke the Back of Jim Crow.
      Lawrence Hill: Chicago Review. Oct. 2005. c.336p. photogs. bibliog.
      index. ISBN 1-55652-590-7. $24.95. HIST This year marks the 50th
      anniversary of Rosa Parks's refusal to give up her seat on public bus
      #2857 in Montgomery, AL, prompting the Montgomery bus boycott of
      1955-56. Williams's father purchased the bus in the 1970s to ensure its
      preservation. He and coauthor Greenhaw (Beyond the Night: A Remembrance)
      aim not simply to tell the story of the
      protest but also to ca! st light upon E.D. Nixon, an organizer in
      Montgomery for many years before the boycott. They contend that the
      boycott does not owe its beginnings simply to Rosa Parks or to Martin
      Luther King Jr. but to Nixon's tenacity, explaining that it was Nixon
      who picked King to lead the protest. King's Stride Toward Freedom
      doesn't deny Nixon's galvanizing force but doesn't quite say what
      Williams and Greenhaw are saying here. Through extensive interviews, the
      authors uncover significant personal histories of the boycott,
      including, quite unsettlingly, those of KKK members who terrorized
      Montgomery at the time. Vividly narrated, though at times slowing for
      biographical background on the main figures, this work is compelling and
      brilliantly accomplished, giving Nixon deserved recognition. Recommended
      for public and academic libraries.-Jim Hahn, Harper Coll. Lib.,
      Palatine, IL

      Thank you for any help you might give us in telling all Alabama
      librarians about this great review.
      All the very best, Wayne Greenhaw
      Jodi Poe
      Assistant Professor, Distance Education/Electronic Resources Manager
      Houston Cole Library (http://www.jsu.edu/depart/library)
      Jacksonville State University (http://www.jsu.edu/)
      700 Pelham Road North
      Jacksonville, AL  36265-1602