Two "American Masters" on APT w/Alabama connections

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2005
      Fyi..both Wednesday night... ajwright@...

      **American Masters
      F. Scott Fitzgerald: Winter Dreams
      Episode 1502
      Episode Schedule: [View Other Episodes]
      Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 8:00PM
      Description
      In 1940, a despondent F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote to his wife Zelda,
      expressing his increasing feelings of failure: "My God, I am a forgotten
      man. Gatsby had to be taken out of the Modern Library because it didn't
      sell." Nearly 60 years later, the same Modern Library voted The Great
      Gatsby the second-best novel of the 20th century. His five novels - This
      Side of Paradise, The Beautiful and the Damned, The Great Gatsby, Tender
      is the Night and The Last Tycoon - established him as one of the
      greatest writers of our time; yet Fitzgerald died nearly penniless, with
      just a handful of mourners to mark his passing. (CC)

      **American Masters
      Ralph Ellison: An American Journey
      Episode 1507
      Episode Schedule: [View Other Episodes]
      Wednesday, August 31, 2005 at 9:30PM
      Description
      AMERICAN MASTERS explores the life and work of influential author Ralph
      Ellison, whose landmark novel Invisible Man won him a lifetime of awards
      and honors. The program features a tribute from Nobel Laureate Toni
      Morrison, interviews with critic Stanley Crouch, author Shelby Steele,
      author and political activist Amiri Baraka and Harvard University
      Professor Cornel West, rare archival footage, never-before-seen photos
      from Ellison's family albums and powerful re-creations of scenes from
      Invisible Man, the first time any of the novel has been filmed. (CC)

      A.J. Wright, M.L.S.
      Associate Professor
      Director, Section on the History of Anesthesia

      Department of Anesthesiology Library
      University of Alabama at Birmingham
      619 19th Street South, JT965
      Birmingham AL 35249-6810