Introduction

  • Carmel Thomaston
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 1998
      Introduction. . . .

      Hi everyone. I'm Carmel Thomaston. I live in Lee County, Alabama just
      outside of Auburn. I'm a former newspaper editor who "retired" four years
      ago to write fulltime. Primarily, I write non-fiction, including family
      history, local history, and research materials for other writers. I publish
      two weekly e-mail newsletters for writers and researchers. I also run a
      web-based writers' colony and electronic bookstore. I've written my family
      history and have several family-related projects in the works. I've also
      written three books of fiction, two with Alabama settings and one with a
      Georgia setting. One book is a glorified doorstop. The other two have been
      recommend for publication.

      My family moved to Jefferson County from Laurens, S.C. in the 1830's,
      settling in the Valley Creek/Johns area southwest of Birmingham so I'm very
      interested in local history information from that area. I also collect
      information on the family names Parsons, Roberts, Goodwin, Payne, and
      Satterfield, among others.
      I have a particular interest in Alabama folklore, the Civil War as it
      pertains to Alabama, and treasure legends. I'm currently working on
      projects involving the Black Warrior River, Bryce state hospital, and women
      and newspaper writers in the Civil War so if anyone has information to
      share, I'd be thrilled to hear from you.

      I hope the rest of you will introduce yourselves and that we can get some
      discussion going on this list about Alabama history.

      Carmel
      carmel@...
    • Ira Holt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 1999
        Hello;
        I would like to take a second to introduce myself to the group. My
        name is Ira T. Holt. I work for the State of Alabama, Alabama State Parks
        Division, Oak Mountain State Park. I am 43 years old, married, with 2
        children. I have always had a fasination with the history of this great
        state. In my carrier with the State Parks I have been privaliged to stories
        and legends of the surrounding parks that I have worked at. Speaking of
        parks that I have been at these include; DeSoto State Park (DeKalb Co.),
        Buck's Pocket State Park (DeKalb, Jackson, Marshall Co.), Wind Creek State
        Park (Tallapoosa Co.) and presently Oak Mountain State Park (Shelby Co.)

        As an introduction I would like to submit a couple of history shorts
        for everyones enjoyment. <attached>.

        I look forward to the discussions as I feel the preservation of our states
        history is important to us all..

        Respectfully yours,

        Ira T. Holt
        guardian@...
      • Fuzzbear01@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 1999
          In a message dated 09/02/1999 7:56:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com writes:

          << Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a
          little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.

          Hello Everyone
          I have just joined the list and wanted to briefly introduce myself. I
          am 33yo and I live in Sylacauga. I have always been fascinated by the local
          folklore and history of this region. Does anyone have any information about
          Sylacauga to share? I am particularly interested in the early Cherokee
          settlements of the area. Does anyone have any information about an area in
          Sylacauga called "Tan Yard Hill"?
          I am looking forward to expanded my knowledge and getting to know
          everyone.
          Thanks
          Sandy