FW: 16th St. Baptist Church [& George M. Davenport]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25 1:45 PM
      Fyi... ajwright@...

      From: Breedlove, Mike [mailto:Mike.Breedlove@...]
      Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 3:35 PM
      To: Amos J Wright
      Subject: 16th St. Baptist Church

      Something I should have mentioned when I sent you this obituary is that
      the church then known as Ebenezer Baptist Church in Birmingham that was
      bombed is now known as the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church. Of course
      four girls, not three, died in that bombing. I am not sure why the staff
      of the Birmingham News got that wrong. Robert "Dynamite Bob" Chambliss
      was the person convicted. Thanks, Mike

      A virtually unknown fact about Mr. [George M.]Davenport's life sheds
      light on an important incident in Birmingham's history. During
      Birmingham's Civil Rights struggles in the 1960's, the worst atrocity
      committed by White
      Supremacist terrorists was the bombing of the Ebenezer Baptist Church,
      an act resulting in the murder of three young black girls. Nothing was
      done to prosecute the suspects in the bombing for years. However, in
      1977, Mr. Davenport served as foreman of the Jefferson County Grand Jury
      which brought out the first criminal indictment relating to this
      horrible crime. Subject to death threats and other attempts at
      intimidation, neither Mr. Davenport nor any of his fellow grand jury
      members flinched from doing their duty.