New database of African-American images

  • Edward Gaynor
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 1999
      fyi...no end to the useful stuff appearing on the WWW, is there?-aj wright

      I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new database of
      African-American photographs. The Jackson Davis Collection consists of
      approximately 4,000 photographs of African-American educational scenes in
      the southern United States, as well as several hundred scenes taken in
      Liberia, Congo, and other African countries. The U.S. photographs were
      taken by Jackson Davis during the period ca. 1915-1930 when he was
      affiliated with the General Education Board in New York, New York. Davis
      served as a field agent, as the board's general field agent, as associate
      director in 1933 and as vice-president and director in 1946.

      http://www.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/jdavis/

      The digitization of these photographs is part of an IMLS
      (http://www.imls.fed.us/) grant to the Special Collections Department of
      the University of Virginia Library. The database as it exists now is very
      much a work in progress. For example, as you search you will find that
      some images are missing and the descriptive data is very brief. Grant
      staff will complete the digitization of the photographs in the next few
      weeks, and then will begin the process of researching the institutions
      represented in the photographs, concentrating first on Virginia, then on
      other states as time permits. We are making the database available in its
      less-than-perfect state because we think the contents are exciting and
      useful to scholars who might lead us to previously unknown (to us) sources
      of information about the institutions. At the end of the project, we hope
      to have a comprehensive database about these important early educational
      institutions.

      Please direct questions or comments to Rebecca Yokum, project supervisor,
      at rly5f@....

      Edward Gaynor
      Associate Director, Special Collections
      Alderman Library