Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • Brian Kelly
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 1998
      Michael Fitzgerald is far too modest. His book on the Union League Movement in the
      Deep South is one of the most important books on Reconstruction to be published in the
      post-civil rights era. I use it in my classes on the Civil War and Reconstruction, and
      highly recommend it to any and all members of this list. My own work, little of which
      has yet seen the light of day, is on Alabama coal miners in the early twentieth
      century, and specifically on the collaboration between black and white miners in the
      face of sustained racial provocation on the part of their employers. My interests
      straddle southern, labor and African American history, and I dabble in Civil
      War/Reconstruction. Part of the work on coal appears in the current issue of the
      Alabama Review, under the title "Policing the 'Negro Eden': Racial Paternalism in the
      Alabama Coalfields, 1908-21."

      Brian Kelly
      Visitng Assistant Professor of History
      Florida International University
      Miami

    • SStew49@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 22, 1999
        I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida. Currently I
        am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas who
        is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
        in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
        Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega Co.,
        but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
        Any help would be appreciated.
        Sallye
      • Dean Costello
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
          >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
          Currently I
          >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
          who
          >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
          >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
          >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
          Co.,
          >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
          >Any help would be appreciated.

          I bought (and subsequently lost) a book which was called something like
          "The History of Placenames in Alabama", which explains the origins of the
          names of cities, towns, and villages all over the state. That might be a
          place to start.

          I picked up my copy about five years ago at Cahawba, but I discovered it
          AWOL when I was rearranging my library back in November.
          -
          Dean Costello
        • VPolzin@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
            Hi
            My name is Jenny. I am from Bham and living in Jax Fl.Several of my relatives
            are working on genealogy for the Thomas,Bradfords,Sherley,Fortner,Hale and
            Sniders.If anyone is working on the same family lines email me

            I never knew people moved so much in the 1600,1700,and 1800's.
          • Debbie Pendleton
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
              Welcome Sallye:
              Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as the community postmaster. This information is from the book Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last week so it was fresh on my mind.

              Debbie Pendleton
              Assistant Director for Public Services
              Alabama Department of Archives and History
              PO Box 300100
              Montgomery, AL 36130
              dpendlet@...
              http://www.archives.state.al.us
            • Max Shores
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                At 08:05 PM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
                >From: SStew49@...
                >
                >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
                Currently I
                >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
                who
                >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
                >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
                >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
                Co.,
                >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
                >Any help would be appreciated.
                >Sallye

                Chandler Springs is located in Talladega County. You may find some helpful
                information on the Talladega County ALGenWeb site which is located at:

                <a
                href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/">http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/
                </a>

                Max Shores
                max@...
                http://www.alabamainfo.com
              • Curtis L. Clark
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                  Both _Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts_ by James Sulzby and the
                  previously mentioned _Place Names in Alabama_ by Virginia Foscue are
                  available in paperback editions from the The University of Alabama Press.

                  You can visit our website at www.uapress.ua.edu for more information or call
                  773-568-1550 to place an order.

                  Thanks.

                  Curtis L. Clark
                  Assistant Director
                  Editor-in-Chief
                  The University of Alabama Press
                  Box 870380
                  Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0380
                  Phone: 205-348-1561
                  Fax: 205-348-9201
                  > Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who
                  > settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He
                  > discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel
                  > which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as
                  > the community postmaster. This information is from the book
                  > Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in
                  > 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last
                  > week so it was fresh on my mind.
                  >
                  > Debbie Pendleton
                  > Assistant Director for Public Services
                  > Alabama Department of Archives and History
                  > PO Box 300100
                  > Montgomery, AL 36130
                  > dpendlet@...
                  > http://www.archives.state.al.us

                  > If you like the colors orange and blue, you will like our new web site!
                  > http://www.onelist.com
                  > Archives for the list can be viewed at
                  > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

                • Mindy Wilson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
                    "Place Names in Alabama" by Virginia Foscue was published by the
                    University of Alabama Press in 1989. If you're interested in
                    purchasing a copy, call the Chicago Distribution Center at 800-621-
                    2736. (They're warehousing all UAP books now.)

                    Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:02:42 -0500
                    To: alabamahistory@onelist.com
                    From: Dean Costello <costello@...>
                    Send reply to: alabamahistory@onelist.com
                    Subject: [alabamahistory] Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

                    From: Dean Costello <costello@...>

                    We have a new web site! http://www.onelist.com
                    Archives for the list can be viewed at
                    http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
                    Mindy Wilson
                    Assistant Acquisitions Editor
                    University of Alabama Press
                    Phone: 205/348-5538
                    Fax: 205/348-9201
                    mwilson@...
                  • Debbie Pendleton

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 24, 1999
                        Thank you so much - That pretty much eliminates him from my research - My
                        Chandlers came from GA in the 1870's. He may be a VERY distant relative, but
                        not of the line I am researching.
                        Sallye
                      • CLEAVE3@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 6, 1999
                          Hello!

                          I am interested in the postal history of Alabama (as well as Mississippi) from
                          the beginning (around 1780) until the establishment of the Universal Postal
                          Union (UPU) in 1875. As you probably know, the mails were vital in earlier
                          times as there was no other form of communication. My interest in postal
                          history is primarily in the towns and their postal makings. I have done quite
                          a bit of research on the development of post offices in AL, but still have
                          questions about the origin of certain towns. I suspect county/local
                          historians could help me, as I them. Anyone with similar interests can email
                          me at cleave3@.... Thank you. Regards, Van Koppersmith, Mobile
                        • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 20, 1999
                            HI ALABAMA HISTORY ! I HAVE SEARCHED FOR A SITE LIKE THIS FOR A LONG TIME AND
                            AM SO GLAD THAT I HAVE FINALLY FOUND IT THROUGH A FRIEND! I AM AN
                            ADMINISTRATOR AT AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY AND HAVE LOTS OF "HISTORIANS "
                            THERE- I WOULD LOVE ACCESS TO THIS SITE TO LOOK UP INFO FOR THEM FROM TIME TO
                            TIME. WE HEAR A LOT OF PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF SITUATIONS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN
                            THE HISTORY OF THE STATE AND NEED A WAY TO VERIFY THE ACTUALITY OF THESE
                            EVENTS. THANKS
                          • Marge Himes
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 24, 1999
                              Hi all,
                              I lived in Alabama from 1956-1971, graduating from Tuscaloosa High
                              Sch (now Central HS) in '66. My mother's family has been in Tusc
                              since 1920's. She was born in Samantha,Al (died '79) my grfather
                              worked the coal mines in Peterson I understand. I married into the
                              AirForce and traveled for the next 25 years. Germany, Turkey, Hawaii
                              & retired AF life in Albuquerque, NM. Not liking NM, my husband & I
                              moved to Iowa (his home). I really get homesick, I love to talk about
                              my "home" every chance I get. My son is 23, we have gotten into some
                              pretty "consistent" conversations about the south. I finally got to
                              introduce him to Tuscaloosa 2 yrs ago. When meeting my uncle & aunt
                              his face dropped to the floor when they made him DECLARE his favorite
                              team before walking thru their front door. (He had not seen my family
                              since he was 4) He choose Auburn & immediately started civil war. My
                              family is split half & half. I am & have always been an Alabama fan,
                              & still BELIEVE in BEAR Bryant football.
                              My daughter is 26, married w/two sons,2&4. They live in Lubbock, Tx
                              where my son-in-law is finishing his senior yr at Lubbock Christian.
                              Like I said I miss my home and love to reminisce about old times. Ive
                              missed alot of changes & growth in Ala but am still interested in
                              where she is going or where shes been

                            • Tanique Crawford
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 20, 1999
                                My daugther has to do a report on the state of Alabama. I would love to have
                                some information best suitable for a 9 year old in the 4th grade for her report
                                on this state. Could you please help us. Much appreciated.
                              • LYNNESBOS@xxx.xxx
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                                  Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                                  monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                                  Lynne Janes Blanton
                                • Max Shores
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                                    At 07:51 PM 5/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
                                    >From: LYNNESBOS@...
                                    >
                                    >Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                                    >monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                                    > Lynne Janes
                                    Blanton

                                    Monroeville is located in Monroe County. The Monroe County Genealogy site
                                    located at

                                    <a
                                    href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe">http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe/<
                                    /a>

                                    might be a good place to begin your search.

                                    Max Shores
                                    max@...
                                    http://www.alabamainfo.com
                                  • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 22, 1999
                                      Is there a geneaology site for Barbour county area?
                                      Linda Greer
                                    • SwimmerAL@xxx.xxx
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jun 4, 1999
                                        alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com writes:

                                        > Feel
                                        > free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit
                                        > about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.

                                        Hi A.J.! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to find out what the list is
                                        about. My interest in joining the list came from the fact that I live in the
                                        great state of Alabama. I love hearing all about the state. Once again,
                                        thanks for the welcome.
                                        Beth
                                      • Jean LeVitt
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                          Hi!

                                          I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                          Jean

                                        • mlstarns@xxxx.xxx
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                            Hi Jean

                                            I grew up in the shadow of Woodward Iron Company, It is now called
                                            Koppers. You can still see the company houses and some of the stores
                                            near the plant. It is in the Dolomite Community of Birmingham in Western
                                            Jefferson co. I live near there still.

                                            I hope this helps you some. If you need more information let me know
                                            maybe I can help some.

                                            Mary

                                            On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:19:28 -0500 Jean LeVitt <jgml@...> writes:
                                            > From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>
                                            >
                                            > Hi!
                                            >
                                            > I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town
                                            > for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't
                                            > know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for
                                            > the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward.
                                            > My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone
                                            > knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be
                                            > happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.
                                            >
                                            > Jean

                                          • Margaret Eakin
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                              1. Click on the following URL to see photos of the Woodward Iron Company

                                              http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hh1.html

                                              2. This one's info on the Woodward family.

                                              http://www.artsbma.org/g2hitt.html

                                              3. The attached site from the U.S. Geologic Survey shows the location
                                              of Woodward. You might explore this site further for other info of
                                              interest --- it also shows the location of historical features (mills,
                                              ferries, schools) that no longer exist.

                                              http://mapping.usgs.gov:8888/gnis/owa/MapServer?f_name=Woodward&f_state=AL&f_latlong=332607N0865729W&f_type=ppl&server=TIGER

                                              Hope this info is helpful to anyone on the list interested in Woodward Iron Company. I have other sites that reference photos � especially of a locomotive that was built specially for the Company.

                                              Margaret Eakin

                                              --
                                              MZ�
                                            • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
                                                I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
                                                Quarterly Editor.

                                                From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

                                                Hi!

                                                I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                                Jean

                                                alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

                                                > Hello,
                                                >
                                                > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
                                                >
                                                > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
                                                >
                                                > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
                                                >
                                                > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
                                                >
                                                > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
                                                >
                                                > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                                > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                >
                                                > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
                                                > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
                                                > School of Medicine
                                                > University of Alabama at Birmingham
                                                >
                                                > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

                                                Archives for the list can be viewed at
                                                http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
                                              • Buddy Sledge
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
                                                  While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
                                                  Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
                                                  Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
                                                  Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
                                                  might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
                                                  Historical Society.

                                                  Best of Luck -

                                                  Buddy Sledge
                                                  Truett-McConnell College
                                                • b1nchc08
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
                                                    Hi,
                                                    I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
                                                    attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
                                                    attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
                                                    Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
                                                    is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
                                                    well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
                                                    shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
                                                    is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
                                                    heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
                                                    am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
                                                    the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
                                                    United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
                                                    that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
                                                    proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
                                                    hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
                                                    Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
                                                    Hence my signature to know more.
                                                    JP
[...]

                                                    As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.