FW: Tell About the South

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2004
      fyi...ajwright@...

      What does it mean to be Southern?

      "Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner.
      If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains,
      I would be just a human being."
      Clyde Edgerton

      Noting that the South looms large in the American imagination, in its
      literature, movies, music, and cuisine, we have once again asked high
      school students throughout Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana
      and Arkansas to tell us how their region shapes their identity. What
      does it mean to be southern today? What characteristics, experiences,
      attitudes make you southern? Is a southern identity a blessing or a
      burden? Read more at
      http://deepsouth.tulane.edu/projects/be_southern.html

      We have a new look!
      Come explore our recently redesigned web site at
      http://deepsouth.tulane.edu. Check out upcoming events. Get the scoop
      on new and ongoing projects, like "A Taste of the South." Find resources
      for educators, scholars, students, and visitors. View our newsletters
      online.

      And don't forget the Curiosities and Oddities, like the Taxidermy Hall
      of Fame of North Carolina Creation Museum and Antique Tool Museum!.
      Read more at http://deepsouth.tulane.edu/curiosities.html

      How literate is YOUR city?
      Every year, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater asks, "how well does
      your city cultivate literate, 'bookish' behavior in its citizenry?"
      Drawing on a variety of data sources, they measure how likely people are
      to read.

      The southern city with the most bookstores is Atlanta; the one
      publishing the most periodicals is Washington, DC; and the city with the
      most libraries is Montgomery. Southern cities that made the top 100
      are:

      6. Washington DC
      15. Atlanta, GA
      17. Louisville, KY