FW: Madison Co. Records Center news

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004

      From: LeeRoses@... [mailto:LeeRoses@...]
      Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 8:44 PM
      To: ALMADISO-D@...
      Subject: Madison Co. Records Center news

      http://co.madison.al.us/mcrc/ permanant site
      http://members.aol.com/leeroses/mcrc.html Treasures and partial

      files site

      I have started a new index of "Miscellaneous Court Files" on the
      Treasures site. The first items I will list are entries from early deed
      books. Before
      1850 there was no Probate court. Some early probate records and almost
      anything else that someone thought needed to be recorded were sometimes
      written in
      the deed books. One of these items I would like to mention here.
      In 1820 the business copartnership of Purdom and McAlister was
      dissolved. In Deed Book F there are 9 long pages listing alphabetically
      about 700 names
      of their customers. I have been told this was about 20 % of the
      population in
      1820. For anyone who wished to start work on a project to reconstruct an
      census or place an ancestor here in 1820 this is an excellant resource.
      Our archivist has also found a book entitled "Record of Wills,
      Inventories, and Other Records
      1818 - 1819" (that's close to the correct name anyway). I copied all the

      records and put them
      in the appropriate Probate case files. So, if you had an ancestor who
      during those years or shortly before and I had previously listed the
      file as
      "missing", it may not be "missing" any more.
      Additional papers may have also been added to other partial files.
      I've also added about 200 more probate cases to the index from the
      - 1894 time period and a couple more early business letterheads.
      Finally, I would like to announce that Lil Herrin has transcribed
      last of the 142 marriage volumes at the MCRC. That's 1809 - February
      1974 at an
      average of about 630 marriages per volume folks! Would you volunteer 4
      days a week for well over a year for such a project? Lil did. We owe her
      and a
      couple of others our everlasting gratitude.

      Terry D. Lee - volunteer
      Rhonda Larkin - archivist