Clint McCown, _The Weatherman_ [Alabama author]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2004
      fyi..ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 9:36 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Everybody Talks About the Weather....

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Friday, October 22, 2004

      Our Favorite Book So Far in 2004
      Sometime this past summer we wrote a newspaper column, and named The
      Weatherman by Clint McCown as our favorite read of Summer 2004. Well,
      the summer is gone, and the end of the year looms, and it's looking more
      and more like The Weatherman is going to end up as our favorite read of
      the whole year!

      Clint McCown is not well known, although a few folks around here do
      remember him from his days in Montgomery in the early 1970's as a radio
      journalist. And this book is published by Graywolf Press, a respected
      but smallish publisher, so the book has not received anywhere near the
      attention we think it merits. It's very funny, and very serious, one of
      the plot lines concerns the loss of an elementary school spelling bee,
      there's a murder, there's corruption in high places, there's sin,
      there's redemption, and it all takes place right here in Alabama, and
      good portions of it in Montgomery.

      It's great, and we hope you'll read it. And we also hope you'll come
      meet Clint TOMORROW, SATURDAY OCTOBER 23 FROM 10 AM- NOON right here at
      the store.

      Here's a little blurb from somebody who knows:
      "Clint McCown may very well be the greatest little-known novelist in
      America. His compassion and intelligence are unassailable and his prose
      is incandescent." -Dennis Lehane
      The book is hardcover, $23. We know Saturday morning is not exactly
      ideal for everybody, but if you can't come just let us know, and we'll
      be glad to save you a signed copy.
      Cheryl and Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334.265.1473