FW: Call for Papers: Contemporary Southern Literature PCA/ACA

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2004
      fyi..ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Popular Culture & American Culture Associations/H-Net Discussion
      list [mailto:H-PCAACA@...]On Behalf Of James Brian Wagaman
      Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 2:03 PM
      To: H-PCAACA@...
      Subject: Call for Papers: Contemporary Southern Literature PCA/ACA

      Call for Papers: Contemporary Southern Literature PCA/ACA Conference
      March 23-26, 2005, San Diego

      Contemporary Southern literature remains a growing area for further
      discussion and criticism within the context of society. This call for
      papers seeks contributors offering a wide variety of interpretations and
      criticisms of contemporary Southern literature and culture against the
      backdrop of popular culture and postmodern society, although historical
      approaches are also welcome. Papers covering a broad range of
      contemporary Southern literature pieces and critical approaches are
      welcome, and presentations should be developed for a 15-minute reading.

      Possible topics include (but are not limited to) the following:
      * Any new and rising Southern author's work
      * Contrasts between Flannery O'Connor's and other contemporary
      author's work
      * Southern literature in the age of postmodernism
      * Gender roles in contemporary work
      * Religion and/or feminist themes
      * Creative work by new and rising Southern authors
      * New readings of traditionally-accepted Southern literatur

      Please be open and creative with the literature you select in this
      category, as well as your interpretations; all submissions concerning
      popular culture are considered. Additionally, if you have a panel that
      deserves special attention, please let me know in your letter or email
      so I can recommend it to the PCA Administration.

      Please submit a 250-word abstract to Christopher Bloss, Area Chair, by
      November 1, 2004. Contributors will be notified by email within two
      days of submission. The conference takes place March 23-26, 2005.

      Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or require
      additional information. Have a great summer!

      Information about the hotel follows:

      The San Diego Marriott Hotel & Marina
      333 West Harbor Drive
      San Diego, CA, 92101
      Phone: 1 619-234-1500
      International Toll-Free: 1-800-228-9290
      Fax: 1 619-234-8678

      Chris Bloss
      Assistant Professor
      Southern Literature and Culture, area chair/PCA
      University of South Dakota
      Vermillion, SD 57069
      Office: (605) 677-6615
      (http://www.h-net.org/~pcaaca/).

      Christopher Bloss
      Assistant Professor and
      Instructional Services Librarian
      University of South Dakota
      Vermillion, SD 57069
      Office: (605) 677-6615
      Email: cbloss@...
      "We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are." --Anais
      Nin