FW: Volume I, Issue 13 [some Alabama authors]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2004
      fyi..ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: The Alabama Booksmith [mailto:booksmith@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 5:27 PM
      To: Alabama's Literati
      Subject: Volume I, Issue 13

      Booksmith Bylines
      June 6, 2004
      Volume I, Issue 13

      Coming soon: Michael Morris, Allen Barra, Deborah Ford, David Johnson, George Singleton, Pat Conroy and Frank Stitt. For complete information when and where these authors will be signing, as well as details about their books, click here:
      http://www.alabamabooksmith.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=0D9C5A3128C8EA4C4F854F0216EE7A92.t4?s=storeevents

      Coming Thursday, June 10, at 4:00 PM - Alan Perlis.

      Alan Perlis may be the most literate author to ever appear at our place with the least likely book. As for his literary qualifications, he is a former chairman of the English Department at UAB. His photographic mind has retained much of the content of the thousands of great books he has read over the last four decades which we think gives him the authority to accept the title of Alabama's Reading Group guru. The Book Clubs he runs are regularly bombarded by wannabee members.

      However, he's coming here Thursday to sign copies of the new edition of his recent book that is accepted as "The Bible" for anyone who may soon be buying or selling their home, or who may be in the business. The Unnoficial Guide to Buying a Home was a best-seller nationwide and the new edition has been updated.

      So, come meet Alan and get help on buying or selling your home or what titles to select for your Reading Group. Details:
      http://www.alabamabooksmith.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=0D9C5A3128C8EA4C4F854F0216EE7A92.t4?s=storeevents&eventId=269760

      With so many wonderful writers on the way and an incredible bunch with whom we're in the process of setting up dates, you'll find it strange for us to hype an event that's over three months away - but please, pay heed. The event of the year is scheduled for Sunday afternoon, September 26, and tickets won't even go on sale until June 27, but when word gets out this will be the hottest ticket around because it will be a hard, hard sell-out.

      Frank Stitt's Southern Table is due out in September. It is being marketed by the publisher as a cookbook - but it's much more. This is the story of Highlands Bar and Grill and the memoir of the genius who put it together. There are a hundred pictures and a hundred recipes, but this remarkable story must be read from cover to cover.

      And, don't skip the foreward. It's written by one of the South's best chefs (his cookbook is due out later in the fall) - Pat Conroy. He will be at the Alys Stephens Center along with Frank Stitt to entertain and share secret recipes.

      And, although the show starts at 4:00, come at 3:30 for a glass of wine and a sample of Frank Stitt's best hors d'oeuvres. Before we run out of "ands" let us add that a ticket includes a first edition of the book signed by Pat Conroy and Frank Stitt.

      For those of you who don't make plans for lunch until 11:00, may we suggest you alter your MO and call the Alys Stephens Center at 975-ARTS or 975-2787 right now and  reserve your seat. They have agreed to reserve seats for our customers who call before on-sale date. Each ticket includes the Pat & Frank show, the double signed first edition, wine and a sampling of Highlands' morsels. Details:
      http://www.alabamabooksmith.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp;jsessionid=8116E8207BE2CB0638003C61DFD623B1.t4?s=storeevents&eventId=271901

      Call the Alys Stephens Center now, drop by and see the huge selection of terrific Father's Day books coming in every day and come visit with Alan Perlis Thursday.

      The Booksmith Gang
      The Alabama Booksmith
      2626 19th Place
      Homewood, AL 35209
      205.870.4242
      booksmith@...
      http://www.alabamabooksmith.com

      Don't forget to e-mail us before you change addresses. We purge a handful of undeliverable invitations after each mailing. If you wish to be removed from our invitation list, please reply. Likewise, please forward to good reading friends. Your e-mail address is kept absolutely
      confidential. We will NEVER, EVER sell or loan this list to anyone under any circumstances. Lastly, if you received this notice by forward from a friend and would like to join Alabama's literati, please
      request same.