Panel on Southern Black Leadership and the Labor Question for SHA 2000

  • Julia Walsh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 1999
      From: Brian Kelly <kellyb@...>

      I am attempting to put together a panel on _Southern Black Leadership
      and the Labor Question during the Jim Crow Era_ for the SHA Annual
      Meeting in Louisville for the year 2000. My own research focuses on the
      tensions between black workers and race leaders in the early twentieth
      century Birmingham district, where Washington-style "industrial
      accommodation" ran headlong into the struggles of black workers against
      their exploitation in area mines and mills. Ideally, I would like to
      assemble a panel that showcases the range of responses to the "labor
      question" across the region and that makes a start at inserting black
      workers into the traditional dichotomy between "protest" and
      "accommodation" in the early twentieth century black South. In some
      areas, to be sure, the level of white hostility and the absence of a
      viable alternative was so great as to blunt any sharp divisions between
      agricultural/industrial workers and race leaders, but my guess is that
      Birmingham is not alone in laying bare the tensions that so many
      historians have ignored. Please contact me via e-mail or at the address
      below if you'd like to contribute to the panel.

      Brian Kelly
      Visiting Assistant Professor of History
      Florida International University
      University Park DM 397