FW: Former Alabama Poet Laureate remembered

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2003

      From: smedina@... [mailto:smedina@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 3:23 PM
      To: NAAL-L@...
      Subject: Former Alabama Poet Laureate remembered

      Sue O. Medina
      ----- Forwarded by Sue O Medina/ACHE on 11/12/2003 03:25 PM -----
      Mildred Wakefield <mildred@...>

      11/12/2003 03:24 PM
      Please respond to Mildred Wakefield

      Dear friends,

      Yesterday the state lost a wonderful Southern woman and writer, Helen
      Friedman Blackshear. The beloved 92-year-old author died peacefully in her
      sleep at her Tuscaloosa home. NewSouth Books is proud to have been
      associated with her and offers these reflections and background on her long
      and distinguished life.

      Born in Tuscaloosa, Mrs. Blackshear graduated from Agnes Scott College and
      obtained an M.A. from the University of Alabama. She moved to Montgomery
      after marrying William Mitchell Blackshear, who died in 1986. They had
      three daughters, Anne, Sue, and Len; eight grandchildren; and fourteen

      She taught English in Montgomery for 35 years and was inducted into the
      Robert E. Lee High School Hall of Fame. It is a testimony to the influence
      she had on her former students that many of them also became English

      Mrs. Blackshear was vivaciously engaged in life, writing, and the literary
      community to the end. Her poem "Search and Destroy" was published earlier
      this year in the anthology Poets Against the War (Nation Books). In
      addition, she had recently completed a new book, Vanished in the Unknown
      Shade, on the poet Sidney Lanier; had just overseen the publication of a
      new edition of an earlier memoir, Mother Was a Rebel: Tuscaloosa Sketches
      in Praise of Gentle People (NewSouth Books); and was at work on at least
      two more books.

      The oldest living member of the Alabama State Association of the National
      League of American Pen Women, she attended their biennial conference this
      past Saturday. She was a previous first place winner of the National
      League's annual writing contest.

      She had served as treasurer and vice-president of the Alabama Poetry
      Society and as president of the Alabama Writers' Conclave. She was Poet of
      the Year in 1986 and received the Distinguished Service Award from the
      Conclave in 1987. From 1995 to 1995, she was commissioned by then-Governor
      Fob James as the eighth Poet Laureate of Alabama.

      Other books to her name include Southern Smorgasbord, a collection of
      essays; Creek Captives (Junebug Books), a book of children's stories based
      on Alabama history; From Peddler to Philanthropist: The Friedman Story,
      about her father's family; Silver Songs (Court Street Press), a new poetry
      collection; and Alabama Album (NewSouth Books), her collected poems. She
      also edited These I Would Keep: Selected Poems by the Poet Laureates of
      Alabama, NewSouth Books's inaugural title, published in 2000.

      A generous-minded person, Mrs. Blackshear took the time to help many
      writers with their books, and often wrote reviews and blurbs for emerging
      authors. She was her own person, unconstrained by what others might think,
      a down-to-earth presence who embraced new things. She had attended the
      Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Montgomery.

      In a review published in First Draft, the journal of the Alabama Writers'
      Forum, Auburn University professor Jeremy Downs said of Mrs. Blackshear's
      work: "It is a distinct pleasure to read contemporary poetry that knows its
      way around a ballade, a sonnet, or a villanelle. Though Blackshear's voice
      is strongest, I think, in her more discursive unrhymed lyrics, she has a
      clear delight in the music of language, the way sound can echo sense . . .
      Yeats and Frost are her teachers and they are good ones."

      Etudes for Autumn

      The August heat has put a spell on me.
      I walk my garden that is parched for rain.
      And dream of youth that will not come again.
      My shriveled flowers droop in lethargy.
      And only brown and seeded stalks remain
      To tell of summer's lavish bloom.

      How vain
      To yearn for springtime's vanished ecstasy
      For every life must have its time of rest
      To succor courage from the hidden root.
      My spring was fully blessed
      Like this dry garden with its ripened fruit.

      How can I doubt my heart's resurgent call
      To greet the blazing beauty of the fall!
      ?Helen F. Blackshear

      All best,
      Mildred Inge Wakefield