FW: Andrew Hudgins, Helen Blackshear [Alabama authors]

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2003

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 10:37 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Andrew Hudgins, Helen Blackshear

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Wednesday, November 12, 2003

      Today's Contents:
      1. Big Poetry Doings
      2. Sad News

      Andrew Hudgins At Huntingdon Tomorrow

      Huntingdon College has a blockbuster literary event coming up TOMORROW, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 13 AT 7 PM. Actually, all day Thursday.

      Readings and Discussion with Poets will feature presentations from four poets. And not just any four poets, but  Juliana Gray, Joel Brouwer, Jim Murphy, and Andrew Hudgins, a Pulitzer nominee, alumnus of Huntingdon  and also alumnus of Lanier High School, where he was a classmate of Thomas, though he, Andrew, hardly ever mentions that. Andrew's also, just so you know, a world class poet, the likes of whom it is rare - extremely rare - for you to have a chance to see in Montgomery .

      Andrew has published five books of poetry with Houghton Mifflin: Babylon in a Jar, The Glass Hammer, The Never-Ending, After the Lost War, and Saints and Strangers. His new collection, Ecstatic in the Poison ($24.95 hardcover), has just been published by Overlook Press to excellent reviews.

      The Thursday night event is free, and open to the public. During the day prior to the free event, the visiting poets will present workshops for students and interested writers at 1:15 and 2:30 PM  The workshops are free for Huntingdon students, $25 for Huntingdon alumni, and $40 for other students.  Workshop space is limited. In fact, it may already be sold out.  To find out, contact Dr. Cecile Gray at (334) 833-4374. Aspiring poets, this is a no-brainer, and would be the best $40 you ever spent.

      Helen Blackshear Dies

      You always dread those late night phone calls, but this one came around noon yesterday. It was Suzanne La Rosa, over at NewSouth Publishers, informing us she'd just learned of the death of Helen Blackshear, one of the great ladies of Alabama letters. Helen died unexpectedly yesterday, peacefully, in her own bed, at her daughter's house near Tuscaloosa.

      Helen was a former poet laureate of Alabama, and a prolific writer. She was also a real card, and we were always glad to see her come in the store, and now we are very sad to see her go. We believe there is a memorial service planned for this Saturday at the Unitarian Fellowship on the Atlanta Highway, but we don't know any details.

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      1140 E. Fairview Avenue
      Montgomery, AL 36106-2109