FW: Valerie Gribben Here Tomorrow [Alabama author at Capitol Bk, Montgomery]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:56 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Valerie Gribben Here Tomorrow

      The Capitol Book Newsletter

      Friday, October 31, 2003

      Today's Contents:
      1. Valerie Gribben

      2. Sale Books

      TOMORROW, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2:00-4:00 P.M.

      We're having an autograph party tomorrow. We wanted to have it in the morning, but the author has to take her SAT's in the morning, so we're having it in the afternoon. Yes, tomorrow we host our very first high school age author, and we couldn't be more excited!

      Now a senior at LAMP, Valerie Gribben began writing Fairytale when she was just sixteen.  It tells the story of Marianne, a girl with a present-day mindset, who lives in an enchanted world of dragons, fairies and wizards, and is launched on an adventure when she refuses to marry the man her parents have chosen for her.

      At the very beginning of her writing life, Valerie has an incredible imagination, and a storytelling talent that most writers can only wish for.  This is a completely delightful book, and perfect for the young adult reader on your Christmas list.

      Fairytale is in paper, just $9.95.  We hope you can come by on Saturday to meet Valerie, but if you can't be here and would like signed copies, just let us know and we'll be happy to take care of it for you. But come, and bring a young person with you. Meeting authors is a thrill for young people, and meeting Valerie, who's not only young enough that they will relate to her, but also from right here in Montgomery, will be especially meaningful to them. We know - we've seen Valerie charm many a young person right here in the store since this book came out a few weeks ago.

      We guarantee you don't know most of the stuff in Alabama Trivia, compiled by Ernie and Jill Couch.  Paper, was $7.99, now $2.99.

      If you want to understand Southern culture you should read Florence King's 1975 classic Southern Ladies and Gentlemen. It is satiric and sympathetic.  Paper, was $11.95, now $3.99.

      Southern Invincibility: a History of the Confederate Heart, by Wiley  Sword, traces the roots of the South's belief in its own superiority, centering on the Civil War, with implications for the present.   Paper, was $17.95, now $6.99.

      Bombingham by Anthony Grooms tells the story of a soldier in Vietnam who recalls his own past in the strife-torn Birmingham of the sixties, the fledgling movement and the momentous responsibility to act.  Hardcover, was $24, now $5.99.

      Rick Bragg needs no introduction around here; Ava's Man is his most recent book.  Hardcover, was $25, now $8.99.

      Judy Paterson's book Sweet Mystery is a perennial bestseller around here.  The hardcover is now out of print, but never-you-mind, we have some for you.  It is a heart-breakingly beautiful book.  Hardcover, was $23, now $7.99.

      CB&N's all-time, most favorite Christmas tale ever, for kids and former kids alike, is Red Ranger Came Calling by Berkeley Breathed.  Paper, was $7.95, now $3.99.

      This one would fit in a stocking, a tiny version of one of the golden oldies of Christmas; The Gift of the Magi, by O. Henry.  Hardcover, was $4.95, now $1.99.

      Christmas in Harmony is Philip Gulley's third book set in the small town of Harmony , Indiana and each book has sold more than the last.  Sometimes we find the true meaning of Christmas in spite of ourselves.  Hardcover, was $12.95, now $4.99.

      Can a reindeer fly?  Why is Rudolph's nose red?  Was the star of Bethlehem really a comet?  How does Santa manage to deliver to an estimated 842 million households in a single night?  What could we do to guarantee a white Christmas every year?  Read this witty and scientific book to find out.  The Physics of Christmas is by Roger Highfield.  Paper, was $12.95, now $4.99.

      A cookbook you will read for all the good memories it will evoke is A Gracious Plenty by John T. Edge of The Center for the Study of Southern Culture.   Recipes and stories handed down from one generation to the next.  Paper, was $19.95, now $8.99.

      Alice Medrich is a chocolate expert, and Cocolat is her piece-de-resistance. We want to try every luscious concoction.  Hardcover, was $35, now $14.99.

      From the author of Kitchen Confidential comes A Cook's Tour, in which Anthony Bourdain circles the world looking for the perfect meal.  It was a Food TV series last year, and proved to be quite addictive,  Hardcover, was $25.95, now $6.99.

      The Illustrated Cottage is a combination of fairy tale, decoration, art and craft for Provence lovers.  Hardcover, was $30, now $12.99.

      If you are thinking of adding a pool, but don't want more of the same, check out the cool ideas in House Beautiful Pools.  Your friends and family will really appreciate it,  Hardcover, was $24.95, now $12.99.

      We're not sure who this book is for, but luckily, you will recognize immediately if it is for you, or someone you know.  Finding the heart and soul of knitting through instruction, projects and stories.  The Knitting Goddess is by Deborah Bergman.  Paper, was $12.95, now $5.99.

      One of our old favorites is If You Only Knew How Much I Smell You: True Portraits of Dogs; with photos by Valerie Shaff and text by the funniest guy ever Roy Blount.  Hardcover, was $19.95, now $7.99.

      Clara: the Early Years is the story of Margo Kaufman' adoption of a black pug, who went on to rule her life, and her subsequent adoption of a baby boy from Russia . Incredibly funny and then heartwarming.  Paper, was $14, now $4.99.

      Buster's Diaries: the True Story of a Dog and His Man is by Buster as told to Roy Hattersley.  It's the dog's side of the story.  Hardcover, was $15.95, now $4.99.

      A Hive for the Honeybee is a young adult novel set entirely inside a hive, with a misunderstood worker bee for a main character.  Your bee-loving booksellers beg book-lovers to buy basketfuls.  Paper, was $4.50, now $1.99.

      Writing is a solitary sport, but that doesn't mean you can't find encouragement and advice for it.  Here's some of that from some of the best: The Writer's Home Companion, 29 essays ranging from Ursula Le Guin to Bernard Shaw and Rita Dove to Stanley Kunitz.   We just read Anne Tyler's essay "Still Just Writing" and can tell you that by itself, it is worth the price of the book.  Paper, was $14.95, now $5.99.

      Writers on Writing collects more than forty essays originally published in the NYT, featuring the best writers working today.  Paper, was $14, now $6.99.

      O.K., now that we have your general writing skills down, let's work on specializing.  Oscar Winning Screenwriters on Screenwriting. This book is for both writers and movie-lovers.  Paper, was $14, now $6.99.

      The Outermost House, first published in 1928, is the chronicle of a solitary year spent on Cape Cod , by the writer Henry Beston.  It is one of the top nature/memoir books of all time.  Paper, was $13, now $4.99.

      Caroline Kennedy edited Profiles in Courage for Our Time.  Of special interest here is Maryanne Vollers's essay on Judge Charles Price and Michael Beschloss's on Carl Elliott, Sr.  Hardcover, was $23.95, now $7.99.

      A Life in Letters: F. Scott Fitzgerald is the closest thing we'll ever have to an autobiography.  Collected by Matthew J. Bruccoli.  Paper, was $18, now $6.99,

      Here's what the NYT said about David Foster Wallace's A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again:  "Animated by wonderfully exuberant prose... this volume reconfirms Mr. Wallace's stature as one of his generation's pre-eminent talents."  Paper, was $14.95, now $4.99.

      The kind of self-help we always looking for-  Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity and Other Indulgences is by Barbara Holland.  Hardcover, was $19.95, now $6.99.

      Larry McMurtry's 1972 novel All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers was one of his best, and occasionally we still think fondly of Danny Deck and wonder if he ever did find what he was looking for.  Paper, was $11, now $5.99.

      Ross King's novel Ex-Libris is an ingenious, intellectual puzzle involving a London antiquarian bookseller, forgeries, ciphers, and a missing manuscript.  Paper, was $13, now $5.99.

      From the bestselling author of Chocolat, Joanne Harris, comes Coastliners, a novel set on a small island just off the coast of France .  Hardcover, was $24.95, now $6.99.

      First Oprah loved it, then Jonathan Franzen said some things that he now wishes he hadn't and now Oprah doesn't wish to speak of it anymore.  We say, ignore the hubbub and forget about the author; the book's the thing, and this is one of the best we've ever read: The Corrections.  Winner of the National Book Award.  Hardcover, was $26, now $7.99.

      This is the 1957 bestselling book that inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical of the same name.  C.Y. Lee's The Flower Drum Song.  Paper, was $14, now $4.99.

      The American Association Beginner's Manual is the definitive guide by the nation's preeminent yoga school.  Would you like improved health awareness and self-fulfillment?  Paper, was $$16, now $7.99.

      It has been a NYC institution for more than twenty years; welcome to the Nuyorican Poets CafĂ©: Aloud.  It's poetry from the edge.  Winner of the American Book Award.  Paper, was $18, now $5.99.

      A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues: the Uses of Philosophy in Everyday Life is by Andre Comte-Sponville.  Thoughts from classic philosophers on love, politeness, fidelity, prudence, temperance, justice, generosity, compassion, mercy, courage, gratitude, humility, simplicity, tolerance, purity, gentleness, good faith and humor.  Paper, was $16, now $6.99.

      Every day /  We do our part / To make your face / A work of art.  If you know the end of this poem you are probably over the age of fifty.  For the rest of you, the answer is: Burma Shave.  The Verse by the Side of the Road: the Story of Burma Shave Signs and Jingles Including all 600 Roadside Rhythms.  Paper, was $12, now $4.99.

      How to amaze tout le monde with everyday French: Les Bon Mots by Eugene Ehrlich.  Paper, was $16, now $6.99.

      A Field Guide to Cows: How to Identify and Appreciate America's 52 Breeds.  Know your Longhorns, your Limosins, your Tarentaises.  Paper, was $13, now $5.99.

      The Penguin Book of Women's Humor spans three centuries, and includes Jane Austen, Toni Morrison, Roseanne and a whole bunch of other chicks.  We opened randomly at three different spots and laughed all three times.  Paper, was $16.95, now $6.99.

      The Reading Group Handbook contains everything you need to know to start your own book club.  How to read critically, the art of discussion and of course, what to read.  Paper, was $11.95, now $5.99.

      Three Black Chicks Review Flicks offers a highly amusing and utterly irreverent guide to nearly 250 movies and videos.  Paper, was $17.95, now $7.99.

      Here's what Larry McMurtry said about Pauline Kael:  "She is indeed, the Edmund Wilson of film reviewers."  Well, whatever that means, we've never enjoyed another critic more.  5001 Nights at the Movies. Paper, was $29.95, now $12.99.

      All About "All about Eve" is the complete behind the scenes story of the one of the most fascinating films ever made.  Larger than life stars, the careers it began, and ended, and the dialogue that has entered the lexicon.  Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night!  Paper, was $15.95, now $6.99.

      An absolutely breathtaking edition of The Holy Bible designed and illustrated by renowned bookman Barry Moser.  Hardcover, was $65, now $34.95.

      Little Lamb's New Testament with Psalms is a small pocket sized book; these are blue with a lamb engraved on the cover.  Just $3.99.

      Can't Come Today? No Problem, We're Open on Saturdays From 10 AM - 4 PM

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      1140 E. Fairview Avenue
      Montgomery, AL 36106-2109