FW: [AlabamaFolklife] Alabama Community Scholars Institute

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2003

      From: Joyce Cauthen [mailto:joycecauthen@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 10:47 AM
      To: AlabamaFolklife@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AlabamaFolklife] Alabama Community Scholars Institute

      Please read the following and respond to joycecauthen@.... If you
      have already requested an application for the Community Scholars Institute,
      you will receive one in the mail shortly.

      I am in the process of sending out applictions for the Alabama
      Community Scholars Institute which will be held next July. It is a two week
      program (one week at Judson College in Marion; the second week in Livingston
      at UWA) in July '04 which will teach folklore skills to a group of
      Alabamians who are diverse in age, race, employment, etc. They will be
      introduced to interviewing techniques, documentary photography and
      videography, grant writing, etc. Funded by the National Endowment for the
      Arts and sponsored by the Alabama Folklife Association, the program will be
      free to 25 students, room and board paid.

      Applicants are accepted on the basis of their proposals. Each will have a
      project that he or she intends to complete with the help of the instructors
      of the
      Institute. If the proposed project is one that deals with traditional
      culture and we feel that it will be a good project that furthers folklore
      research done in Alabama, that applicant will be accepted. At this point we
      do not know if this course will count for college credit, but we are working
      on it.

      If you know of people out in the community who are doing work (volunteer or
      paid) for
      organizations that promote traditional culture or who have a deep
      interest in the traditional crafts, music, etc. of their culture (Mexican,
      East Indian, African-American, Scotch-Irish, etc. etc.), I would very much
      appreciate your giving me their names and phone numbers or mailing addresses
      or you can forward this on to those persons and ask them to e-mail that
      information.

      You can read more about this at www.alabamafolklife.org.
      Thanks,
      Joyce Cauthen, Executive Director, Alabama Folklife Association

      Community email addresses:
      Post message: AlabamaFolklife@onelist.com
      Subscribe: AlabamaFolklife-subscribe@onelist.com

      Shortcut URL to this page: