FW: 2004 OAH Southern Regional Conference, "Practicing American H istory in the South"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24 7:21 AM
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Ian Binnington, H-South [mailto:cfib@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 4:22 PM
      To: H-SOUTH@...
      Subject: CFP: 2004 OAH Southern Regional Conference, "Practicing
      American History in the South"

      Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:05:33 -0500
      From: "John Dichtl" <john@...>
      Subject: OAH southern regional meeting

      As you may have heard, the OAH will be holding a regional conference in the
      South next summer, in Atlanta on 8-11 July 2004. I wanted to make sure that
      you, as readers of H-South, were aware that the call for papers closes soon.

      We are anticipating an exciting program and an attendance of approximately
      500 historians, teachers, graduate students, public historians, and
      exhibitors. OAH has simplified the proposal process by creating an online
      submission process <http://www.oah.org/meetings/2004regional/propose.html>.
      The deadline for online submissions for the meeting is 1 August 2003.

      Call for Papers
      2004 OAH Southern Regional Conference
      "Practicing American History in the South"

      In 2004 OAH, in conjunction with Georgia State University Department of
      History and the Georgia Association of Historians, will host its second
      regional conference. Its aim is to serve anew its members at community and
      four-year colleges and high schools, and those employed in government,
      museums, and the private sector as well as in major universities. The
      conference also seeks to encourage persons who will soon serve in these
      diverse capacities--graduate students--to get involved in professional
      activities early in their careers.

      The regional conference will be held in Atlanta, Georgia, on the campus of
      Georgia State University, 8-11 July 2004. (See
      http://www.oah.org/meetings/2004regional/) The meeting takes as its special
      charge a desire to reach members and other historians and graduate students
      who find it difficult to attend the national meeting held in the spring
      each year. Atlanta is a convenient, central location in the Southeast and
      the conference benefits from the relatively inexpensive lodging and
      services offered by Georgia State University. Considerable attention will
      be devoted to professional development and the practice of history both in
      classrooms and in public settings in the South.

      In keeping with recent OAH program practices, we encourage formats that
      promote discussion and participation, for example, roundtables and debates
      with up to five panelists. We also recommend that panelists discuss rather
      than read their papers, in an effort to increase dialogue with the
      audience. Although session proposals are preferred, we welcome individual
      paper submissions. We also welcome volunteers to chair or comment at
      sessions, as assigned by the Program Committee.

      Session and Paper Proposals

      Proposals for single papers and complete sessions should be submitted
      online at http://www.oah.org/meetings/2004regional/propose.html

      Deadline for proposals is 1 August 2003.

      John R. Dichtl
      Deputy Director
      Organization of American Historians
      www.oah.org