FW: AWESOME! [Alabama author Tom Franklin]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2003

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 12:03 PM
      To: capitolbook@...
      Subject: AWESOME!

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Monday, June 9, 2003

      Hell At The Breech
      Even before you read the first page, even before you open the book, just the
      title of Tom Franklin's novel, Hell At The Breech, grabs you, or, more
      accurately, reaches inside you and turns up whatever the body's mechanism is
      that puts you a little on edge, gives you a slight sense of foreboding, and
      puts that little question in your mind, "Do I really want to read this?"

      Not all of you do. It is intense. It is, at times, brutally violent. But it
      is also, always, brilliantly written, as compelling a tale of frontier
      justice, and injustice, as we've ever read. And it's all based on a true
      story from late 19th century Alabama, the Mitcham Beat War, a politically
      inspired bloodletting between the haves and the have-nots in Clarke County
      in southwest Alabama.

      One thing we don't like about the way most folks sell books, is that they
      always give away too much of the story when describing a book they want you
      to buy. We don't really even like the little come-ons that publishers put on
      the dust jackets, because we think that to really enjoy a book you need to
      start reading it with no idea about what's coming. So we've said all we're
      going to say about this one.You're just going to have to trust us. This is
      one of the great books.

      Author Tom Franklin is embarking on a huge national tour for Hell At The
      Breech, taking him all the way to New York, but he's starting right here in
      Alabama, and we're very happy to say he'll be here at the store TOMORROW,
      TUESDAY, JUNE 10, FROM 5-7 PM. Please don't miss this chance to meet one of
      the best writers in America.

      Hell At The Breech is a $23.95 hardcover. We also have copies of Tom's
      awesome short story collection, Poachers, in paperback for $12. If you can't
      make it tomorrow, just let us know, and we'll get copies signed for you. (Or
      for Father, whose day it is this Sunday!)

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473
      www.capitolbook.com