FW: Booksigning Saturday! [w/Alabama author Stephen Marion]

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:20 AM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Booksigning Saturday!

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Thursday, May 29, 2003

      Booksigning This Saturday, May 31, 2-4 PM!
      We are pleased to introduce a new, very fine young writer to Montgomery. His
      name is Stephen Marion. He works as a reporter and photographer for a local
      newspaper in east Tennessee. He is a recipient of a National Endowment for
      the Arts fellowship and the Arthur Lynn Andrews Prize for Fiction at Cornell
      University. He lives in Dandridge, Tennessee. HOLLOW GROUND is his first
      novel, and it is a blockbuster!

      Here's a little about the book:
      When Gary left Zinctown, Tennessee, he left behind a father whom he couldn't
      please, a long-dead brother, and a young woman carrying his child. But
      after fourteen years, Gary has returned. His adolescent son Taft is under
      the precarious influence of an ex-convict uncle and a grandfather obsessed
      with documenting the town's history. Taft's mother has grown hard and used
      to doing things for herself. And the small town, gutted from below by the
      mines that support its residents, is quietly being eaten alive.

      And here's a little reaction to it:
      "Told with such clarity and beauty that it resonates with the power of the
      sacred....One of the most notable debuts in recent memory." -Annie Dillard

      "Lovely...perfect...HOLLOW GROUND is an auspicious beginning for a writer
      with real promise." -Chicago Tribune

      "[A] mournful, literary cliffhanger....There you have it-Richard Ford's
      contemporary apocalypse, Pat Conroy's vindications of nature, and Cormac
      McCarthy's hurting cowboy's. What makes HOLLOW GROUND special is that Marion
      lays claim to his particular piece of earth and he makes us believe that
      industrialism and primordial nature roil like two scaly dragons in this one
      place." -Bob Neufeld, Asheville Citizen-Times

      And here's what we say:
      It's really good, and it is a real pleasure to be able to bring new, very
      gifted writers to town, and to introduce them to you, and you to them, and
      to their writing. We do hope you'll take advantage of this chance to meet a
      person we believe will one day be a major voice in southern literature.

      If you can't make it on Saturday, not to fear. We will be happy to have
      Stephen sign a copy for you. It's actually available both in paperback ($14)
      and hardcover ($23.95). Just let us know.

      That's THIS SATURDAY, MAY 31, 2-4 PM.
      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473