Old Oil Mill Cemetery, Demopolis

    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2003
      Forwarded from the AfricanAmericanGenealogy@yahoogroups.com list...aj wright
      // ajwright@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 15:00:49 -0000
      From: "mljonesv" <mljonesV@...>
      Subject: Historic Cemetery Register/Alabama

      The Association of Black Genealogists of Alabama is proud to announce
      that the first African American Cemetery in Demopolis, Alabama known
      as the Old Oil Mill Cemetery has been placed on the Alabama Historic
      Cemetery Register. This is the fourth cemetery in Alabama that has
      been placed on the Register.

      This cemetery's burial sites date back to the mid 1800. It was first
      called the French Cemetery, because it was used by the French
      settlement of Demopolis. Later, it was given the the African
      Americans. Among others, burial sites at this cemetery include Dr.
      A.G. Gaston's grandparents and his mother.

      I am also proud of this achievement because two of my uncles, and
      four of my aunts are buried there dating back to the late 1920s and
      mid 1930s.