FW: Harper Lee at Home (Apr 28)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2003

      From: Today in Literature [mailto:list@...]
      Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 5:11 AM
      Subject: Harper Lee at Home (Apr 28)

      TODAY IN LITERATURE April 28th

      In this issue ...

      1. Harper Lee at Home
      2. Quotation of the day
      3. Also on this day
      4. Tomorrow
      5. Links

      TODAY: Harper Lee at Home

      On this day in 1926 Harper Lee was born in Monroeville, Alabama.
      After the immediate and overwhelming success of "To Kill a
      Mockingbird" (1960), and despite forecasting more, Lee is known
      to have published only three short magazine articles, all in the
      60s; nor has she broken the silence and anonymity into which she
      quickly retreated. From a mid-60s interview:

      I want to chronicle something that seems to be very
      quickly going down the drain. This is small-town middle-
      class life, as opposed to the Gothic, as opposed to
      "Tobacco Road," as opposed to plantation life.... There
      is something universal in this little world, something
      decent to be said for it, and something to lament in its
      passing. In other words, all I want to be is the Jane
      Austen of south Alabama.

      To read the full article, please visit:
      http://www.todayinliterature.com/today-ct.asp?id=4/28/2003

      Quotation of the Day:

      "A key to the understanding of all religion is that a god's idea
      of amusement is 'Snakes and Ladders' with greased rungs."

      Terry Pratchett ("The Colour of Magic"), born on this day in 1948

      Also on this day in ... 1898

      Scottish poet and diarist, William Soutar, was born. A promising
      poet, Soutar was made an invalid by a spinal disease in his
      thirties and confined to his bed for the rest of his life. He
      watched the world through a large window his father had built
      into his room, writing poetry and keeping a diary and journal
      until his death in 1943. From "Diaries of a Dying Man":

      "I sometimes wonder what strange necessity brought about
      the humiliation of my body. Man must look for a reason,
      and when he has lost his old gods must peer into
      himself. It is not a self-compliment to surmise that one
      had to sacrifice one's body to make a self."

      Anniversaries:

      George Meredith's "Modern Love" published, 1862
      Alistair MacLean ("The Guns of Navarone") born, 1922
      Penelope Fitzgerald (Booker Prize for "Offshore") died, 2000

      TOMORROW

      Scorn (Derision, Contempt, Cachinnation) for "Roget's Thesaurus"

      To SWITCH to WEEKLY MAILINGS:
      http://www.todayinliterature.com/login.asp

      Copyright 2000-2003. Today in Literature. All rights reserved.
      THIS E-MAIL IS FOR PERSONAL, NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.