Founders of Old Mobile Spring Newsletter 2003

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003
      fyi...forwarded from the fort_toulouse@yahoogroups.com discussion list...
      aj wright // ajwright@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:13:36 -0600
      From: emayrose@...
      Subject: The Founders of Old Mobile Spring Newsletter 2003

      Spring Newsletter-The Founders of Old Mobile Society
      Thought you guys might like to see my Spring newsletter to see what's
      going on in Mobile!

      Elizabeth

      The Founders of Old Mobile Society-Spring Newsletter 2003

      An Exciting New Exhibit is Coming to Town

      The Museum of Mobile Presents: France in the Americas: Cities of the King's

      Engineers in the New World in the 17th and 18th Centuries

      This exciting new exhibit features the site of Old Mobile at Twenty-Mile
      Bluff.

      It will run from June 20, 2003-December 2003.

      The 200th Anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase is also being highlighted.

      This fine exhibit can only be seen in Mobile, Detroit and New Orleans.

      Trip to Old Mobile

      Our friends with The Friends of Old Mobile, Inc. have invited us to join
      them

      Saturday, April 12, 2003 for a trip to Old Mobile. Transportation is
      provided.

      For reservations and more details, contact Joy Klotz, President of The
      Friends

      Group at 251-433-6022. Her email address is joyklotz@....

      Speaking of Trips!

      One of our own members, Nac Favre of Baton Rouge, La. has suggested we take

      some "field trips" of our own! He has found several locations in Mobile that
      were

      owned by Simon Favre and some properties that were owned by the Rochons.

      Would anyone be interested in touring these locations? Most of us are
      familiar

      with Bonnie Gums from the University of South Alabama Archaeological
      Department. We may be able to have Bonnie conduct a lecture for us and take
      us

      to these sites. Perhaps a descendant of these family groups would like to
      conduct

      a lecture and tour of these properties themselves!

      As I have said before, now that the Tricentennial is over, it is time to
      move on and

      start on new endeavors. Many people have expressed the desire to share
      their written family histories with others in the group. Some have even
      written books.

      Why not make this history come alive with a lecture and play based on the
      life

      of your ancestors? Lord knows, I can supply the reenactors, costumes and
      props!

      Another one of our members, Winston DeVille, has written a family history in
      fact!

      The Guillory Manuscripts

      1764 ~ 1765 ~ 1766 ~ 1773

      Edited by
      Winston De Ville
      Fellow, American Society of Genealogists

      his long-awaited study brings together for the first time four of the most
      important documents for the history of the Guillory family of Mobile Bay, of
      Louisiana, and beyond. New World origins were in seventeenth century Canada,
      with European roots in France's châteaux country. A synopsis outlines the
      eight children of Gregoire Guillory by his French-Creole wife, Marie Jeanne
      La Casse, and after her death in 1764, the four children by Marguerite, his
      Negro slave, whom he freed in 1770.

      Concentration is on translations from French to English of the lengthy
      and finely detailed 1764 inventory of property drawn at Mobile Bay, the
      southwest Louisiana land-grant of 1765, an intriguing land controversy
      brought before the Superior Council at New Orleans in 1766, and a 1773
      inventory of property at Opelousas Post. The last document named was crucial
      evidence in a famous court-case in 1782, and again pivotal in a landmark
      case two centuries later.

      The frontispiece reproduces an early map of the Mobile Bay region, and
      a second map locates the 1765 land-grants on Bayou Courtableau and Bayou aux
      Boeufs.

      ~

      34 pages. Wrappers. Item no. GM2. $15.00 if order is postmarked before 1 May
      2003, $17.50 thereafter. Please add $2.50 postage & handling for the first
      copy ordered, and $1.00 for each additional copy.

      Please allow three-four weeks for delivery.

      Éditions DeVille

      1067 Rock Pit Road Ville Platte, Louisiana 70586~9266

      Also be sure to check out more from Winston!

      Éditions DeVille

      1067 Rock Pit Road Ville Platte, Louisiana 70586-9266

      Books for the Louisiana Purchase Bicentennial by
      Winston De Ville
      Fellow of the American Genealogical Society

      The Merveilleux Report on a Fort for the River Pascagoula in 1726. With
      considerable detail, included in this report are observations on Gulf Coast
      geography, Indians living on the Pascagoula River, lists of tools, supplies,
      and other items required to build a fort, views of early Canadian settlers,
      and recommendations for creating a strong French presence in the Gulf South.
      16 pages. Item No. M4. $15.00.

      Massacre at Natchez in 1729: The Rheims Manuscript. When Indians massacred
      French settlers at Natchez in 1729, the demographic face of the Province of
      Louisiana changed dramatically. French soldiers and French families around
      Fort Rosalie fled to safer havens, such as Pointe Coupée, Arkansas Post, aux
      Illinois, and of course, New Orleans. Natchez waned while other settlements
      waxed.

      For well over two centuries, this memoire lay undiscovered in the
      public library of Rheims, France. Its pages reveal unexplored details of a
      tragedy that drew international attention, and gave pause to a French king
      in whose hands Louisiana's future was held. The document is attributed to
      François Louis de Merveilleux, a Swiss military officer, a Protestant in
      service to a French, a Catholic, king. In addition to the Massacre itself,
      he writes of its aftermath and future defenses, a slave's heroic escape to
      alert New Orleans, neighboring Indians, customs and religious practices of
      the Natchez Indians (whom he compared with the ancient Persians), personal
      rivalries, and he was not timid in offering his own opinions. 22 pages.
      Index. Item no. NM2. $17.50.

      Creole Education in Spanish Louisiana:Three Manuscripts for Historical
      Analysis. Most studies relating to the history of education in colonial
      Louisiana virtually ignore secular instruction during the Spanish regime.
      Generally, historians have depicted the Province of Louisiana as an
      "intellectually backward community," and give the subject an embarrassed
      passing nod. The three documents presented here are weighty pieces of
      evidence that demand a reëvaluation of such antiquated opinions. They
      reflect a colonial society that struggled to maintain high cultural
      standards and a sense of intellectual integrity.

      All documents are from archives in Spain. The first is dated 1767, at
      the very beginning of Spanish domination. It is a letter from a
      school-master to Governor Antonio de Ulloa, depicting a performance
      presented by his pupils. The most voluminous document was also written
      during Ulloa's administration - a very detailed petition, with a proposal
      titled "Prospectus of Education and Study for the Young People of the
      Mississippi." The third item is not actually a manuscript, but a broadside
      printed at the very end of colonial rule, ca. 1803, when Louisiana was
      "seeing itself liberated." The dramatic broadside boldly solicits
      subscribers to and authors for the Journal Louisianais, a proposed monthly
      periodical of 1500 pages per year! As Louisiana comemmorates its American
      bicentennial, the historicity of the province, the territory, and the state
      must be reëxamined by referring to just such primary sources as this
      important collection. 38 pages. Item no. L2. $17.50.

      Bellevue Stud: A Case of Libel for the History of the Richard Family in
      Ante~Bellum Louisiana. Introduction by Robert de Berardinis. An essay on the
      Richard family of southwest Louisiana by Robert C. West. The first
      translation of court proceedings that shocked St. Landry Parish in 1848. A
      satyrical French poem, one of the pieces offered in evidence, is retained
      untranslated. 28 pages. Index. Illustrations. Item no. BS 1. $20.00.

      ~

      The Guillory Manuscripts: 1764~1765~1766~1773

      This long-awaited study brings together for the first time four of the most
      important documents for the history of the Guillory family of Mobile Bay, of
      Louisiana, and beyond. A synopsis outlines the eight children of Gregoire
      Guillory by his French-Creole wife, Marie Jeanne La Casse, and after her
      death in 1764, the four children by Marguerite, his Negro slave, whom he
      freed in 1770. 34 pages. Wrappers. Item no. GM2. $15.00, on orders
      postmarked before 1 May 2003; $17.50 thereafter.

      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

      All formats are 8½ x 11, wrappers. Please add $2.50 for the first book
      ordered and $1.00 for each additional book for postage and handling. Allow
      three to four weeks for delivery. We invite you to visit...

      w w w . p r o v i n c i a l p r e s s . u s

      ... featuring "Titles& Tales,"

      a cyber-column by Winston De Ville.

      ~

      Don't Let the Dream Die-Dues Reminder!

      I have heard from several members that want to keep the group going. I am
      still the only officer however. I am going to need help to get the group
      back

      in good shape. We still need a vice-president, secretary, treasurer and
      historian.

      It's very hard to hold and keep a group together on your own.

      Very few people have paid their 2003 dues. The deadline for 2003 dues is
      May 30, 2003.

      Current dues (As of 1/1/03) are $15.00 per individual and $20.00 per couple.
      New certificates have been suspended until I can figure out how to make them
      on my own. Those who have already paid for them will still receive theirs
      once I can make the certificate program work on my home computer.

      For now, my contact information is:

      Elizabeth Mayrose at emayrose@...

      Elizabeth Mayrose, President of The Founders of Old Mobile Society

      11 South Monterey St. Mobile, AL 36604

      I will be moving soon and after April 30, any written correspondence
      (including dues) should go to Elizabeth Mayrose c/o The Founders of Old
      Mobile Society

      2611 Venice Ct. Mobile, AL 36605.

      Illness Abounds

      I have heard that many of our members have been ill this year. If you have
      any information on members that are ill, please pass this information on to
      me. They

      need to know that we are thinking of them. I ask you to remember, my own
      dear father, Harvey Jones of the Baudreau de Graveline line. He suffered a
      serious stroke 3/5/03 (Ash Wednesday). He is still in ICU and hanging in
      there!

      Pray for Our Troops

      If anyone has any loved ones or friends in the Gulf War, please let us know
      so that

      we may send correspondence and care packages to them. Our own Chairman,

      Jay Higginbotham has a son, Sgt. Denis Higginbotham that is currently
      fighting in Iraq. I'll try to get you an accurate address for him and any
      other service men and

      women we know of.

      Proud to be an American and A French Descendant of Old Mobile,

      I am, Your President,

      Elizabeth Mayrose