FW: Durr Lecture on civil rights at AUM on April 6 featuring Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Diane McWhorter

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2003

      From: David C. Carter [mailto:cartedc@...]
      Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 10:10 AM
      To: A.J. Wright
      Subject: query about posting announcement to Alabama History listserv concerning Durr Lecture on civil rights at AUM on April 6 featuring Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Diane McWhorter

      Dear A.J. Wright,

      My name is David Carter, and I'm a history professor specializing in the history of the civil rights movement in my third year at Auburn University.  I had a quick question about posting an announcement to the Alabama History listserv.  I'm on a committee that helps to publicize an annual lecture down the road at Auburn University Montgomery, the Clifford and Virginia Durr Memorial Lectures.  This year's speakers - scheduled for Sunday, April 6, at 7:30pm in the AUM School of Nursing - are Birmingham civil rights leader Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Pulitzer-prize winning historian Diane McWhorter, who grew up in Birmingham and authored the recent Carry Me Home.  It's the fortieth anniversary of the famous 1963 Birmingham civil rights protests, so this should be a powerful set of reflections on both their parts, which I hope will become a "lecture in two voices," evoking the antiphonal "call and response" pattern of civil rights mass meetings from that powerful era not so long ago.

      I'm trying to spread the word about the lecture as widely as possible, and hoped to post an announcement to the Alabama History listserv.  What procedure should I follow to do this?

      Many listserv readers will remember that Cliff and Virginia Durr, for whom the memorial lectures are named, were amazing Alabamians;  Cliff represented Rosa Parks when she was arrested for protesting segregated city buses in 1955, and Cliff's and Virginia's house was a waystation and safe harbor for both black and white civil rights workers throughout the 1950s, 1960s, and beyond.  As the price of their courageous activism, the Durrs were ostracized by most whites in the Montgomery community.  Virginia Durr's autobiography, Outside the Magic Circle, is a powerful conversion narrative of how she was able to shed the regional blinders of race prejudice and embark on a trajectory of six decades of activism from the New Deal to the 1990s.

      I'm appending below a copy of a letter I've been circulating with details about the Lecture series and this year's speakers, and attaching to this e-mail a flyer for the Lectures in .pdf format in the event you know anyone that you think would appreciate having a forward of this e-mail of having a printable flyer as a reminder or to post.

      Please let me know what format is best for a presumably far briefer post to the listserv.

      Many thanks,

      David Carter

      David C. Carter, Assistant Professor of History
      Auburn University History Department
      310 Thach Hall
      Auburn, Alabama  36849-5207
      (334)844-6859
      e-mail:  cartedc@...
      website: http://www.auburn.edu/~cartedc/

      Auburn University Montgomery presents

      the 12th annual Cliff and Virginia Durr Memorial Lecture

      featuring civil rights leader Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth

      and Pulitzer Prize-winning historian Diane McWhorter

      Sunday, April 6, 2003

      7:30pm

      Irma B. Moore Hall Auditorium

      School of Nursing

      Auburn University Montgomery

      Free and Open to the Public

      Dear colleagues and friends,

      Please pardon the impersonality of a "batch" e-mail, but I wanted to reach as many people as possible.  I recently had the honor to accept an offer from Ann Durr Lyon, one of the late Virginia Durr's daughters, to serve on the Local Committee for the Cliff and Virginia Durr Memorial Lectures.  The lectures are hosted annually by Auburn University Montgomery.

      This year the acclaimed Birmingham civil rights leader Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth and Diane McWhorter, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Carry Me Home on the Birmingham civil rights struggle, will be sharing the podium as joint speakers on Sunday evening, April 6, at 7:30pm.  The 12th annual Durr Memorial Lecture will be held in the Irma B. Moore Hall Auditorium of AUM's School of Nursing.

      I've been asked to do all I can to spread the word throughout Alabama and anywhere within striking distance of Montgomery.  I hope many of you will be able to attend for what promises to be a fascinating "lecture in two voices."  Knowing how central antiphonal patterns were in the mass meetings of the civil rights movement, it will be particularly appropriate to hear Shuttlesworth and McWhorter in a "call and response" exchange as they debate the significance of the Birmingham movement and reflect on their own personal Birmingham odysseys forty years after the climactic 1963 campaign in that Alabama city.  I'm attaching a flyer for the lecture in .pdf format and would be delighted if you would forward this e-mail and the electronic flyer to anyone you think might be interested in knowing about the upcoming lecture.  If you wish, I'd be happy to mail you paper copies of the flyer if you would like to post it or distribute it among people who may have an interest in attending the lecture in Montgomery on April 6 (coincidentally 35 years and two days after the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassination in Memphis in 1968).

      Please let me know if I can furnish you with additional information about the event, about this year's speakers, or about Clifford and Virginia Durr, for whom the lecture series is named.  The Durrs were remarkable Alabamians, and the circle of those whose lives they touched both directly and indirectly numbers in the thousands.

      A partial list of past distinguished speakers and panelists in the Durr Memorial Lecture series includes:

      ·         Lady Bird Johnson, former First Lady, and CNN President Tom Johnson (1992, inaugural lecture)

      ·         Hugo L. Black, Jr. and Dr. Sheldon Hackney (1993)

      ·         Art Buchwald, John W. Durr, and Zecosy Williams (1994)

      ·         John Doar, Ray Jenkins, Burke Marshall and the Rev. George Washington Carver Richardson, Jr. (1995)

      ·         John Kenneth Galbraith and Johnnie Rebecca Carr (1996)

      ·         Studs Terkel and Charles Morgan, Jr. (1997)

      ·         John Lewis (2000)

      ·         Blanche Wiesen Cook (2001)

      ·         Robert Ellis Smith (2002)

      Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about this important event on April 6,