Re: Will the real Horace Wilkinson...

  • Jeff Jakeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 1999
      Brian: see Glenn Feldman's book _From Demagogue to Dixiecrat: Horace
      Wilkinson and the Politics of Race (University Press of America, 1995).

      By the way, the Alabama Review home page (www.auburn.edu/~bamarev/) has
      links to tables of contents for the Ala Review, Ala Hist Qtly, Gulf Coast
      Hist Rev, and Ala Heritage. I did a quick check for the article on
      Wilkinson that Ed mentioned but had no success. Perhaps he was thinking
      of Feldman's book.

      Robert J. Jakeman, Associate Professor Voice: 334-844-6634
      Editor, The Alabama Review Fax: 334-844-6673
      History Department Internet: jakemrj@...
      310 Thach Hall Alabama Review Home Page:
      Auburn University, AL 36849-5207 http://www.auburn.edu/~bamarev/

    • R. B. Rosenburg
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 1999
        [This message contained attachments]
      • Ed Bridges
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 1999
          Jeff,
          Thanks for the correction and additional cite. It may have been a paper Glen presented at an AHA meeting that I recalled rather than a Review article. Thanks also for providing the book title; it's one that I need to add to my reading list.

          Ed

          From: Jeff Jakeman <jakemrj@...>

> [...]

          > Wilkinson's background. In his But for Birmingham, Glen Eskew mentions a
          > lawyer named Horace C. Wilkinson (p. 79) and describes him as a
          > "Klansman, Dixiecrat, and all-around race-baiter." Is this the same
          > Wilkinson? If so, does he evolve from a race liberal to a Klansman in
          > the years between 1920 and the early sixties? Or was his condemnation of
          > the operators' strategy a tactical (and cynical) adjustment aimed at
          > securing the moral high ground? Was Eskew's Wilkinson the son of the
          > Horace Wilkinson I've come across? Any leads, biographical details,
          > would be much appreciated.
          >
          > Brian Kelly
          > Visiting Assistnat Professor of History
          > Florida International University

          > Ideas on how we can improve ONElist?
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > Check out the Suggestion Box feature on our new web site

          Have you visited our new web site?
          http://www.onelist.com
          Onelist: Helping to create Internet communities