New to the group...with questions

  • pcookiels <pcookiels@alltel.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003
      I am in the process of researching my paternal genealogy, without
      much success, and I'm hoping to get some advice/direction from this
      group. According to the 1910 census, my grandfather (Noah
      Strickland) was from Georgia, but he and my grandmother had settled
      in Piedmont, Calhoun County, Alabama by the time of the 1910 census.
      A woman I believe to be my great grandmother, listed only as "Phebe -
      mother - age 85," was living with them at the time. They were still
      living in Calhoun County at the time of the 1920 census, by which
      time they had a total of six children (only two in 1910), and Phebe
      was no longer with them. (I assume she'd died in the intervening 10
      years.) Some time back, I found my grandfather's 1917 draft
      registration online, but my computer crashed, and since getting back
      online, have not been able to locate it. My grandfather moved the
      family to NW Pennsylvania in the early 1920s, after hearing there
      was a lot of work to be had on the Erie Railroad. (How he knew that
      from all the way down in Alabama baffles me, unless some family or
      friends had gone ahead and sent word to him.) Other than this scant
      information....nothing. It's like the family was dropped off by the
      mothership just before heading back out into deep space, and I would
      *greatly* appreciate any information anyone might be able to offer
      to jump start this search.

      Secondly, I discovered this group while doing a search on Gees Bend,
      and I am very curious about information someone online gave me
      regarding that place. I was told that it's located on an island
      accessible only by ferry, and that its isolated black residents were
      still held in slavery well into the 1940s, at which time most still
      wore only the white long shirt-like garment often seen in old photos
      dating from the time of legal slavery...that they had no idea
      slavery had been outlawed, and were still working for the same white
      families who had owned their great grandparents. I know that it was
      an isolated, rural community, and that primitive conditions in the
      rural south were not at all rare in the 1940s, but were those people
      really still being kept as slaves? Is that *really* true, or just
      another one of those cyber legends created by who knows who?