FW: Books w/Montgomery connections

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2002
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 11:57 AM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Montgomery Advertiser column November 10, 2002

      MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER COLUMN November 10, 2002

      Once again the publishing industry has played right into our hands, this
      time by publishing all sorts of books with Montgomery connections, right at
      the time of year when such a thing can do us the very most good. It's just
      possible that our little trip to New York last spring, where we urged the
      publishers to such a thing, had something to do with it. Or maybe it's just
      dumb luck. No matter which, we're mighty glad about it. Here are the ones we
      know about so far.

      "James Bond: The Legacy" This one's by Montgomerian John Cork, and we've
      written about it before, but we mention it again just to be sure that you
      James Bond fans remember that John will be at the Capri Theatre today at 3PM
      to talk about the book, and about the James Bond movies. John has lots of
      very interesting stories to tell about the Bond movies, and lots of cool
      Bond stuff, including some sort of model Aston Martin, to give away in a
      Bond Trivia Contest! And by the way, the Capri was where all the Bond
      movies, at least the Sean Connery ones, first played in Montgomery. ($49.95
      hardcover)

      "Shalom Y'all: Images of Jewish Life in the American South" This one's
      mostly a book of photographs of Southern Jewish life, taken by Bill Aron,
      although the pictures are all accompanied either by text by Vicki Reikes
      Fox, or by quotations from Jewish folk all around the American South,
      including lots of folks you know from right here in Montgomery! There are
      photos of Jeanette Capouya, the James Loebs, senior and junior, Gloria and
      Kalman Shwarts, and Owen and Jake Aronov, who also contribute a very nice
      little essay about their grandfather Jake Aronov. There are also
      observations about being Jewish in Montgomery by Sarah Shumaria, Mortimer
      Cohen, Raymond Cohen, Harry Lebovitz and Jim Sabel. We had no idea of all
      the local connections when we ordered this one, and that, friends, is where
      dumb luck comes into it. ($24.95 hardcover)

      "Under Live Oaks: the Last Great Houses of the Old South" This one, by
      Caroline Seebohm and Peter Woloszynski, is another pretty one, with lots of
      color pictures and interesting architectural and social notes about some
      twenty or so of the really great old homes of the old South. When it
      arrived, we were enjoying looking through it, until we got to the very last
      house in the book, and the only one in Alabama, which turned out to be
      Montgomery's own Winter Place, the decaying, spooky, fascinating old mansion
      (actually, two mansions, connected by a passageway) still occupied by the
      enigmatic Winter Thorington, described in the book as "destined to forfeit
      the benefits of worldly success," which is a nice way of putting it. Most of
      us have never seen the inside of this old landmark, and the 12 interior
      photos in this book may be the only look we'll ever get. And the
      accompanying essay neatly captures the very sad feel of the old place. ($40
      hardcover)

      "Montgomery: The River City" This one's by Montgomery writer and raconteur
      Wayne Greenhaw. Some day - or better yet some night - if you're lucky,
      you'll get to sit at Wayne's feet, and listen as he tells his stories of his
      early days in Montgomery. It's southern storytelling at its best, and as
      close as most of us are likely to get to the old days of sitting on the
      front porch while our history is told to us. And what comes through Wayne's
      stories most of all is his great love for this old city and its inhabitants,
      or at least most of them. Well, now Wayne has written this sprawling history
      of Montgomery, and luckily for us it's all written in that same front porch
      style, so entertaining it's sometimes hard to remember you're reading a
      history book instead of a slightly bawdy novel, partly because Wayne tells
      such a good story, and partly because he had access to heretofore unknown
      private diaries, as well as some newly discovered privately published works
      This one's so new that we've seen only the unbound galleys, but the
      publisher, Montgomery's own River City Press, believes strongly that the
      finished book will be here by the time you read this. It's another big book,
      coffee table size, and it belongs in every Montgomery library. ($39.95
      hardcover)

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473