FW: Barry Hannah (12/15/02; collection)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2002
      Hannah taught for some years at UA...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Martyn BONE [mailto:martyn@...]
      Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 8:40 AM
      To: cfp@...
      Subject: CFP: Barry Hannah (12/15/02; collection)

      Call for Papers: Proposed edited collection on Barry Hannah (CFP
      submitted 20 October 2002; deadline for proposals 15 December 2002)

      I am currently soliciting proposals for essay-length contributions to an
      edited collection on Barry Hannah's fiction. This collection would build
      on (and encompass) the essays included in Ruth D. Weston's Hannah
      special issue of _Mississippi Quarterly_ (Fall 2001). A major Southern
      university press has expressed interest in publishing the project, and
      already a number of scholars have agreed to submit new essays for

      At this stage I am interested in all proposals, involving any critical
      approach and any Hannah work, short or long. However, please note that
      the aforementioned university press has expressed a preference for
      essays that range relatively widely. i.e., that do not consider only one
      of Hannah's stories/novels. Given that this would be the first essay
      collection on Hannah's work, and given the variety of that work, I am
      reluctant to impose a single overarching theme on either the collection
      or, indeed, Hannah's ouevre. However, publishing realities, for one,
      dictate that the collection will likely be organised around one, two or
      three overarching themes. As such, I am particularly interested in
      essays that encompass one or more of the following themes:

      - Hannah and postmodernism (as a literary style or aesthetic, esp.
      Hannah in comparative context with other postmodern writers)
      - Hannah and postmodernity (the representation, mediation and/or criticism
      of the cultures, economies, societies, etc., of postmodernity)
      - Hannah as Southern, postsouthern or anti-Southern writer (esp. in
      comparative context with other Southern, American or international writers)
      - Masculinity (the Southern male (anti-) hero, gender relations, anxieties
      over masculinity in the contemporary South/postmodern world)
      - Race and/or class (including Hannah in relation, or contrast, to "grit" or
      poor white Southern writers such as Harry Crews, Dorothy Allison, or
      Larry Brown)

      Please submit proposals (between 300-500 words) to one of the email or
      postal addresses below as soon as possible, and no later than 15
      December 2002. I plan to submit formal proposals to at least two
      university presses in late December 2002 or early January 2003.

      Dr. Martyn Bone
      School of American and Canadian Studies
      University of Nottingham
      NG7 2RD