FW: Sept 29 Advertiser column [Capitol Bks, Montgomery]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 9:46 AM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Sept 29 Advertiser column

      MONTGOMERY ADVERTISER COLUMN September 29, 2002

      Don't think for a second that we don't know exactly what you're thinking.
      You're thinking," If these guys write one more word about Big Fish, I'll
      scream," or worse. So we won't, except of course technically we just did.
      But no more, we promise, at least not this week. Instead, here are a few
      odds and ends that we should have mentioned before, only we got a little
      hung up on the whole Big Fish thing. Whoops! Sorry, we did it again.

      The Last Girls is Lee Smith's fourteenth book, and she just gets better and
      better. This one is fiction, but based on a raft trip Lee and a bunch of
      girlfriends took down the Mississippi in 1965. It catches up with four of
      the girls thirty-five years and a lot of growing up later. ($24.95)

      Robert McCammon is the Birmingham author who is now entering his third life
      as a writer. His first success was as a paperback horror writer. After
      more than ten books, all hugely popular, all still in print, he wrote A
      Boy's Life, a wonderful coming of age novel with a hint of the fabulous. It
      is still one of our bestselling books. Now in his third incarnation, his
      new novel Speaks the Nightbird is a huge book, a historical mystery, set in
      the 1699 Carolinas. It is an epic story about good and evil, hatred and
      love. Early reviews, and early reaction around here, have been very good.
      ($27.95)

      Some people think we agree on everything all the time, but we don't. Take,
      for example, the book Scottsboro Alabama: a Story in Linoleum Cuts. Cheryl
      thought it was great, but Thomas just didn't get it, and insisted we order
      only one copy. It's now one of our best sellers, so who do you think is
      gloating now? The book's history is almost more interesting than the book
      itself. Printed in 1935, but forgotten, it was rediscovered this year, and
      published by NYU Press. Only thing is, they can't find out one thing about
      the two people who created the book. They have vanished into the thin air of
      history. But we do know a little something about them. They were unashamedly
      communist, and they created one very beautiful, and very angry, book about
      the Scottsboro boys, presented as a series of vignettes in the form of
      linoleum cuts. Not for everybody, and you do have to see it to believe it,
      but it has been flying off our shelf. ($26.95)

      We overheard a conversation years ago at college. One guy says to another,
      "I'm from L.A." Second guy says, "Lower Alabama?" First guy says, "No. BIG
      L, BIG A, Los Angeles." We don't know what that has to do with anything,
      except that when Cassandra King says she comes from L.A., we know she means
      Lower Alabama, even though she has lived in South Carolina since her
      marriage to novelist Pat Conroy. Her first novel, Making Waves in Zion, was
      published by Black Belt Press. Her second novel is The Sunday Wife, the
      story of Dean Lynch, a preacher's wife, who, after twenty years, has still
      not adjusted to that role. Their move to a large church in the Florida
      panhandle exposes the fissures in their relationship. This is what you call
      a "woman's book," and by all accounts a good one. ($23.95)

      And now, a bittersweet note. Our old pal, the Mobile writer Eugene Walter
      died about four years ago, and we're still sad about that, but Eugene has
      now made us smile again. He up and left his entire estate to one Donald
      Goldman, a man he'd only known a couple of years, and a man who was stunned
      to find out that Eugene had left it all to him. He'd agreed to be Eugene's
      executor, but had no idea that he'd also be his heir. He says that Eugene
      had one simple request concerning all his stuff: "Sell it all." And that's
      exactly what they're doing this weekend, over the internet, which would have
      amused Eugene greatly. The online auction actually ends today, but if you're
      reading this on Sunday morning you still have time to check it out, at the
      website of the auction house Charlton Hall Galleries. Their web site is
      confusing, so if you'll go to our website, www.capitolbook.com, we'll have a
      link there which will take you directly to the items which are being
      auctioned today. Some truly amazing stuff.

      NOTE TO EMAIL RECIPIENTS OF THE COLUMN: That auction has of course ended,
      but you can still go view the items if you're interested. But we don't know
      how long they'll stay up on the site.

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473