Re: platations or whiskey mills in uniontown

  • kh_art
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Wow, I wish I would have found this site sooner. I am also curious
      about Uniontown, Alabama. My genealogy search dead-ends with my gg-
      grandfather's birth there in 1868, three years after emancipation. I
      am having a very hard time finding anything on him. His name is
      George Monix and his father's name may have been Jasper. George wound
      up settling in Mississippi (where he died) with his wife Mary Jones
      but I know nothing about his parents...I am assuming he grew up in
      Uniontown, Alabama. His parents were both from Alabama as well.

      I was thinking about contacting The First Colored Missionary Baptist
      Church, which has a history dating back to 1865 (when the
      freedpersons formed Uniontown African Baptist Church).

      I got this info from a historical sketch published by the Perry
      County Historical and Preservation Society.

      Could someone point me in the right direction? I am in St. Louis, MO
      and have been doing most of my research from microfilms and over the
      internet.

      Thank you
      ---Karmella