FW: Contribute to Transformingamerica.org [Alabama's Role in the Civil Rights Movement]

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2002

      From: Catherine Jannik [mailto:jannicm@...]
      Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 10:45 AM
      To: sala-l@...
      Subject: Contribute to Transformingamerica.org

      Good Morning,
      Now that you've recovered from SAA and Labor Day, please take a minute to read about this project and then check out the site and see how easy it is to become a member!

      Transforming America:  Alabama's Role in the Civil Rights Movement (http://transformingamerica.org) is a project in which any entity, an archive, museum, library, church, etc., within the state of Alabama can become a member by submitting a very little bit of information about its civil rights collections.

      The fill in form on the site (under "Become a Member") asks for a few bits of information from your finding aids or collections guides and a link to your finding aid on line or your institution's home page.  The form asks for standard information and you can cut and paste into it.  The first time you submit under "11. Source" you'll choose "NEW-First Submission" and after that, we'll add your code to the list.

      Once you are part of Transforming America, you will also be contributing your information to the MetaScholar initiative (http://metascholar.org) and you will be part of the Open Archives Initiative (http://www.openarchives.org) and will be contributing to "union lists" of finding aids.  We are an OAI provider and are currently being harvested by the University of Michigan's OAIster project (go to http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/in dex.html and perform a search for "Chambliss" and you'll receive a record from BPL!!  If you search for "LeFlore" you'll get records from South Alabama!!).

      Please check out the site and start submitting!!
      If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me!!

      Catherine

      Catherine M. Jannik
      Digital Projects Coordinator
      Ralph Brown Draughon Library