FW: Brad Watson Party Monday [Alabama author]

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2002
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 11:18 AM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Brad Watson Party Monday

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Friday September 13, 2002

      Today's Contents:
      1. Major Talent Coming Here
      2. Come Cultivate Your Creative Self!

      BRAD WATSON

      Back in 1996, we read former Alabamian, former Montgomerian Brad Watson's
      book Last Days of the Dog-Men (now in paper, $12.95) and were instant fans.
      In fact, Brad's reading/signing here in May of that year was the very first
      event that we hosted after moving into our present home. And, as much as we
      loved that book, and looked forward to his next one, nothing could have
      prepared us for this new book.

      The Heaven of Mercury (Hardcover, $23.95) is a very different kind of
      writing. Reviewers are comparing it to William Faulkner and Gabriel Garcia
      Marquez but we think the better comparison is to Reynolds Price, or Wallace
      Stegner. It is the #4 pick on the new Booksense 76: Independent Bookseller
      Recommendations. The point being that Brad is a wonderful writer and this
      is a wonderful book.

      Mercury is the small Mississippi town where the story unfolds. There are a
      dozen main characters whose lives are followed over eighty years, beginning
      near the end and hopscotching back and forth through time. It is sad and
      funny and very intelligent.

      Brad will be here on MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 FROM 5:00-7:00. He will do a
      brief reading at about the midpoint of the event.

      If you can't be here but would like a signed copy of either book, just let
      us know and we'll take care of it for you.

      Our VERY HIGHEST recommendation!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
      NEW ARTIST'S WAY GROUP

      Back in April a group got together here with the plan doing a twelve week
      workshop based on Julia Cameron's book The Artist's Way. It was a big
      success, and now a new group is beginning. If you would like to find out
      more; come to an informational and organizational meeting here on Tuesday
      September 17 at 5:30. There's no charge, everyone is welcome.

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473
      www.capitolbook.com