FW: Alabamiana - new book [Civil War letters]

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002

      From: smedina@... [mailto:smedina@...]
      Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 7:19 AM
      To: NAAL-L@...
      Subject: Alabamiana - new book

      For Your Information:

      smedina@...

      ----- Forwarded by Sue O Medina/ACHE on 08/02/02 07:07 AM -----

      "Jessica Lowther" <jlowther@...>

      08/02/02 07:07 AM

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      _Oh, What a Lonesome Time I Had: The Civil War Letters of Major
      William Moxley, Eighteenth Alabama Infantry, and Emily Beck
      Moxley_Edited by Thomas W. Cutrer

      This rare correspondence between a soldier and his wife relates in
      poignant detail the struggle for survival on the battlefield as well as
      on the home front and gives voice to the underrepresented class of
      small farmers.

      Most surviving correspondence of the Civil War period was written
      by members of a literate, elite class; few collections exist in which
      the woman's letters to her soldier husband have been preserved.
      Here, in the exchange between William and Emily Moxley, a
      working-class farm couple from Coffee County, Alabama, we see
      vividly an often-neglected aspect of the Civil War experience: the
      hardships of civilian life on the home front.

      Emily's moving letters to her husband, startling in their immediacy
      and detail, chronicle such difficulties as a desperate lack of food
      and clothing for her family, the frustration of depending on others in
      the community, and her growing terror at facing childbirth without
      her husband, at the mercy of a doctor with questionable skills.
      Major Moxley's letters to his wife reveal a decidedly unromantic
      side of the war, describing his frequent encounters with starvation,
      disease, and bloody slaughter.

      To supplement this revealing correspondence, the editor has
      provided ample documentation and research; a genealogical chart
      of the Moxley family; detailed maps of Alabama and Florida that
      allow the reader to trace the progress of Major Moxley's division;
      and thorough footnotes to document and elucidate events and
      people mentioned in the letters. Readers interested in the Civil War
      and Alabama history will find these letters immensely appealing
      while scholars of 19th-century domestic life will find much of value
      in Emily Moxley's rare descriptions of her homefront experiences.

      QUOTABLE:

      "Well, my Dear, I am home by my lone self to night except the
      children and they are all a sleep and know not what trouble is. I
      have been at work on the door to night, trying to fix it so I could bar
      it up, and I got it fixt so I could fasten it. I have been propping it up
      until I got tired of it, and I was afraid to lie down at night with the
      door open."
      ----Excerpt from a letter written by Emily Beck Moxley

      THE AUTHOR:

      Thomas W. Cutrer is Professor of American Studies at Arizona
      State University, West Campus. He has edited two prior
      collections of Civil War letters, including _Brothers in Gray: The
      Civil War Letters of the Pierson Family_.

      BIBLIOGRAPHIC INFORMATION:

      208 pages, 6 x 9
      ISBN: 0-8173-1118-1
      $29.95t cloth
      AVAILABLE

      For orders: The University of Alabama Press, Chicago Distribution
      Center, 110360 S. Langley, Chicago, IL 60628
      Phone: (773) 568-1550
      Fax: (773) 660-2235

      Contact: Priscilla J. McWilliams
      pjcmwill@...