FW: Another party! [for Alabama author Norman McMillan]

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2002

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 11:05 AM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Another party!

      The Capitol Book Newsletter

      Wednesday  July 24, 2002

      Is your old 401(K) now just a 201(K)? If you haven't already sold everything it's probably too late, so why don't you just forget all that stuff for a while, and come to a party tomorrow?

      There are lots of Montevallo graduates around here, and all of them remember their old English professor Norman McMillan, but what they don't know about him could fill a book. In fact, it has, and it's one of the real pleasant surprises of this year.

      Norman McMillan's memoir is entitled Distant Son: An Alabama Boyhood, and we think it's great. Norman was born in Hale County , Alabama , in 1942, the eighth of ten children.  His parents started their marriage fairly well off, but by the time Norman was born there was not much left of the good times.  They were tenant farmers and moved often, always trying for a new start, a better life.  When at age nine, his family moved into their own, painted, house, it seemed like a miracle. But in the midst of hard times, there are many good memories, too.  His book is a remarkable history, not only of his childhood,  but of that time and place.  It is funny and smart and sometimes sad, and we think you'll like it too. So we're giving you a chance to buy the book and to meet this 60 year old first-time author.

      Norman McMillan will be here TOMORROW, THURSDAY JULY 25 FROM  4:00-6:00 P.M.

      If you can't be here but would like a signed copy of Distant Son, just let us know and we'll be happy to take care of it for you. ($24 hardcover)

      Cheryl Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473
      www.capitolbook.com