FW: Alabamiana

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002

      From: smedina@... [mailto:smedina@...]
      Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 1:54 PM
      To: NAAL-L@...
      Subject: Alabamiana

      Please see the press release below about new books from NewSouth Books.

      Also, at ALA I saw a beautifully done book "Scottsboro Alabama, A Story in
      Linoleum Cuts" by Lin Shi Kahn and Tony Perez. New York University Press.
      The notes
      said that almost nothing is known (or could be found out) about Kahn and
      Perez. The linoleum cuts were done in the early 1930s - and just
      rediscovered. I wondered if they might have been done as part of a WPA
      project...........to describe the horrible experience of the Scottsboro
      Boys.

      www.ache.state.al.us/NAAL
      ----- Forwarded by Sue O Medina/ACHE on 06/28/02 01:45 PM -----
      Suzanne La Rosa <suzanne@...>

      06/28/02 02:36 PM
      Sue,

      NewSouth Books has a few new titles in print. Here are three in which you
      and your colleagues may be interested:

      1. The New South Creed: A Study in Southern Mythmaking by Paul Gaston

      This is a reprint of a seminal work of scholarship by University of
      Virginia historian Paul Gaston. Our edition includes new front and back
      material: an introduction by historian Robert Jefferson Norrell and an
      afterword by the author. Both speak to why the book is still incredibly
      relevant.

      I have read the book now three times. It is a lucid and beautifully written
      thesis about the mythmakers of the post-Civil War years -- principally
      Henry Grady -- who in trumpeting the South's great advantages (for
      industrial development) and the "fact" that the Confederacy had quickly put
      bitterness over the war behind it inadvertently did our country a
      disservice by allowing it to ignore the root problems which led to the
      Civil War. In his afterword, Gaston points to the gated communities
      springing up all over the country as evidence of the issues of racial and
      class segregation still not adequately acknowledged or addressed.

      This is a serious work, and much deserving of the many truly appreciative
      blurbs that have flowed in on the new edition: Wayne Flynt at Auburn
      University calls it a "modern classic." Allen Tullos at Emory states that
      "it is central to our understanding of sectional ideology...which still
      exerts a too powerful grip." Glenda Gilmore at Yale says "The New South
      Creed was thirty years ahead of its time." Charles Joyner says Gaston's
      "brilliant afterword looks beyond history to show how the myth still
      conceals appalling realities today." ISBN: 1-58838-053-X; trade paper;
      retail: $19.95.

      2. Like Shooting Rapids in the Dark: Selected Writings on Education by
      Dr. Billy O. Wireman

      A second title on our list offers different kind of reading. Dr. Wireman is
      Chairman Emeritus at Queens College in Charlotte, NC, and an
      internationally recognized education consultant. This is a book of articles
      he's published over his thirty-three years in higher education. It's
      engagingly written and wisely considered. Among the topics he raises are:

      Can an education for productive careers also be an education for noble
      lives? How can we ensure that American education has a global dimension?
      How exactly does higher education contribute to America's democratic
      experiment? What from America's educational past should be preserved? What
      sort of education will our children need in order to flourish in the 21st
      century? ISBN: 1-58838-088-2; trade cloth; $22.00.

      3. They Say the Wind is Red, by Jaqueline Matte

      W. Richard West of the Smithsonian Institution says, "They Say the Wind is
      Red represents the successful effort of the MOWA Choctaw to articulate
      their own history." Jackie Matte's volume, newly back in print with a
      how-to section on researching Indian genealogy, is the moving story of the
      Choctaw Indians who managed to stay behind when their tribe was relocated
      in the 1830s. It's a unique chronicle of a history of pride, endurance, and
      persistence in the face of abhorrent conditions imposed upon the Choctaw by
      the US government. ISBN: 1-58838-079-3; trade paper; retail: $19.95.

      As always, Sue, I am happy to take calls/emails with questions about these
      books, and am grateful to you for helping NewSouth to spread the word.

      Suzanne La Rosa, publisher
      NewSouth Books, Montgomery, Alabama
      suzanne@...
      334-834-3556