FW: [AlabamaFolklife] Alabama Blues Project Update, May 9, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2002
      fyi...the Alabama Blues Project web site is at http://www.alabamablues.org/
      --aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: alablues@... [mailto:alablues@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 2:02 PM
      To: undisclosed-recipients
      Subject: [AlabamaFolklife] Alabama Blues Project Update, May 9, 2002

      Dear Blues Fans:

      It has been a very productive first quarter of the year for the Alabama
      Blues
      Project.

      In January Blues Camp kids had a reunion blues workshop in Tuscaloosa led by

      Ryan Reardon, Jessie Suttle and Big Bo McGee. Students came from Tuscaloosa

      Housing Authority and The Boys and Girls club.

      Big Bo McGee, played a Martin Luther King celebration sponsored by the
      Covenant Presbyterian church. Tragically this turned out to be his last
      performance. We lost our dear friend, regular ABP featured performer and
      teacher on March 3rd. The Alabama blues community came together for a full
      show of support. The Alabama Blues Society and the Alabama Blues Project
      collaborated in fundraising and held a benefit concert toward Big Bo's
      funeral expenses. The show featured Eddie Kirkland, Microwave Dave and the
      Nukes, Kent Duchaine, Candy Shines, Tommy Gardner, Little Lee, Debbie Bond,
      Gary Edmonds, and Todd Johnson and close to 2,000 dollars was raised.

      Also in March, Eddie Kirkland worked with the Alabama Blues Project band to
      present a Blues in the Schools program at Abrams Elementary in Bessemer
      (Tommy Gardner: bass; Jessie Suttle: Drums; Debbie Bond: guitar; Ryan
      Reardon: Harmonica). Little Lee was the featured performer at the blues in
      the school program presented at Hayneville Elementary in Montgomery (with
      Frank Jordan: bass; Jessie Suttle: drums; Debbie Bond: guitar; and Ryan
      Reardon on Harmonica).

      April was a busy month beginning with a school program at Brooks Elementary
      in Killen, Alabama. Little Lee was the feature performer with the ABP band
      (Eric Simmons: bass; Jessie Suttle: Drums; Debbie Bond: guitar; Ryan
      Reardon:
      Harmonica).

      The ABP then presented three days of blues programs at the First Lady's
      Children's Arts Festival to thousands of students from around the state of
      Alabama who do not regularly have arts programing as part of their regular
      school curriculum. Students were exposed to some of the most of exciting
      innovative arts and education workshops which included, sculpture, folk art,
      ron work, African dance and of course blues music. We were blessed again to
      be able to feature Alabama blues legend Eddie Kirkland as well as Little Lee

      and the ABP band (Tommy Gardner: bass: Annette Labreque Keyboard: John
      Scalaci: drums, Gary Edmonds and Debbie Bond: guitar).

      In May we have one more Blues in the Schools program in Montgomery at
      Highland Gardens Elementary featuring Little Lee (Frank Jordan: Bass, Jessie

      Suttle: Drums: Debbie Bond: guitar and Ryan Reardon: harmonica). This will
      be
      our last program with Ryan who is going on to a full time teaching post.
      Will
      miss him and very thankful for his contribution to the ABP over the last
      year.

      These blues in the schools programs were made possible through the State
      Arts
      Council Rural School Touring Program. We especially thank the Arts Council
      for the continued difference they have made in the lives of artists and
      students throughout the state.

      May 17 the ABP will be presenting Little Jimmy Reed, (Ardie Dean: drums;
      Tommy Gardner: Bass; Annette Labreque: keyboards; Debbie Bond: guitar) at
      Birmingham's City Stages 2002.

      We are also excited about presenting J. W. Warren 82 year old country blues
      guitar player from Ariton. J. W. jammed and performed with teenage
      harmonica
      blowing Big in Ariton, Alabama, where she was born. This performance will be

      from 7:00-8:30 on Friday, May 17th at Birmingham's City Stages.

      We are excited to connect with blues drummer John Scalici who has been
      working hard and developing and implementing wonderful percussion workshops
      with at risk students, cancer patients and children with autism. John has
      also a wide range experience as a touring blues drummer and worked with the
      Memphis blues in the schools programs. He has also received extensive
      training in African drumming and various innovative art therapy techniques
      and utilizing the healing power of music. We are lucky he moved back to
      Alabama and has been working with the ABP since the beginning of the year.

      Of course now we are gearing up for our Summertime Blues Camp. The camp will

      be held in July and students will have the opportunity to learn harmonica,
      guitar, bass, singing and percussion. This year's camp will also include a
      story telling and folk art component. The latter will be taught by folk
      artist Lonnie Holly. We are still fund raising for this so please help by
      sending your tax deductible donations to:

      The Alabama Blues Project Inc.
      2620 2nd Street E
      Tuscaloosa, AL 35404

      Every little bit will help make this happen. Presently we have support from
      the Alabama State Council on the Arts and Mercedes Benz International.
      However, we still have not all funds we need in place. Your support will be
      greatly appreciated. The program will reach children from the Tuscaloosa
      Housing Authority, the Tuscaloosa Boys and Girls club as well as children
      from the wider community. The students will of course perform and exhibit
      their blues art. We will keep you posted as the summer camp unfolds.

      Have a wonderful summer!
      Warm regards from
      The Alabama Blues Project

      Community email addresses: