Tuskegee Airmen Oral History Project

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2002
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      The Tuskegee Airmen Oral History Project
      National Park Service
      Atlanta Federal Center, 1924 Building
      100 Alabama Street SW
      Atlanta, GA 30303
      Phone: (404) 562-3117, ext. 649 Fax: (404) 562-3202
      Toll-free: 1-866-294-2914

      The National Park Service is in the process of constructing the Tuskegee
      Airmen National Historic Site at Moton Field, in Tuskegee, Alabama. When it
      is completed, the National Historic Site will commemorate and celebrate the
      history of the Tuskegee Airmen, America's first African-American military

      As part of this effort, the Park Service has initiated an oral
      history project with the goal of interviewing 1,500 participants in the
      Tuskegee Airmen experience. The purpose of the nationwide Tuskegee Airmen
      Oral History Project is to interview, record, and preserve the memories of
      the thousands of men and women who helped make the Tuskegee Airmen
      experiment such a success during World War II. The information that we
      gather from this project will be used for three main purposes. It will
      guide the Park Service as we rehabilitate historic structures at Moton
      Field. Once the historic structures have been refurbished and a museum has
      been constructed at Moton Field, the interview recordings will become a
      crucial component of the museum's educational program-allowing visitors to
      hear the Tuskegee Airmen's stories in their own words. Finally, the
      interview recordings and transcripts will be housed in the National Historic
      Site's archives, for the use of future historians and researchers.

      In cooperation with Tuskegee Airmen, Inc., the project is in the
      process of identifying candidates for interview. We intend to speak with a
      broad cross-section of the estimated 15,000 people who helped keep the
      Tuskegee Airmen flying. In addition to pilots, we will interview mechanics,
      radio operators, parachute packers, secretaries, cooks, and members of other
      job categories; white members of bomber crews escorted by the Airmen in
      combat; spouses of Airmen; Tuskegee Institute faculty, staff, and students
      of the era; civilian employees of Moton Field; members of the black press;
      civil rights figures of the era; and others.

      At present the project employs five full-time interviewers: Dr. Lisa
      Bratton, Dr. Judith Brown, Worth Long, Bill Mansfield, and Dr. Todd Moye.
      Dr. Moye also coordinates the project. If one of these project members
      should schedule you for an oral history interview, you can expect to discuss
      the following topics, among others: your family's social background and
      history, the details of your experience at Tuskegee, the experience of
      serving in a segregated military, and your opinions on the legacy created by
      the Tuskegee Airmen. After your interview, you will also be asked to sign a
      legal release form allowing the National Park Service to use the interview
      for educational purposes.

      The oral histories created for this project will go a long way
      toward making the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site the educational
      experience we want it to be. If you should be contacted for an interview,
      we urge you to participate. If you have already agreed to schedule an
      interview, thank you! If you would like to be considered for an interview,
      or if you know someone else who should be, please feel free to write or call
      us at the address or phone numbers above, or e-mail Dr. Moye at

      A.J. Wright, MLS
      Dept of Anesthesiology Library
      School of Medicine
      University of Alabama at Birmingham