Mobile & Bayshore RR Historical Society

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 11:10 AM
      I'm forwarding this description from Craig McGraw...the Railroad Museum
      project to which he refers in the last paragraph is an effort just getting
      underway in Mobile...more on that later this week...aj wright //
      ajwright@...

      AJ,

      Thanks for the invitation.

      Concerning the Mobile & Bay Shore RR Historical Society, we are a
      loose-knit group, no formal structure at this time, with a website and
      a companion YahooGroup mailing list for communication. We have
      had local meetings in the past, and we are looking forward to the
      possibility of another this year, but no firm plans have been set yet.

      Our group focuses on the 40-year history of a short line running from
      the M&O mainline in Prichard to the Portersville Bay area of South
      Mobile County, with one major branch reaching westward from Mann
      out to the Dawes community. The railroad started off as one of the
      M&O's children, but within a few years became just a division
      of the parent.

      The route lasted up until the GM&O period, and may have been
      operated as far south as Coden under full GM&O ownership. Most
      of the line had been abandonned and scrapped by 1945, but at least
      two portions survived through the merger into the ICG, and one of
      these remains today as an active part of the ICRR (or whatever
      entity it is called...).

      The website has been up for at least six years, on various servers,
      and the YG list has been up for two years.

      A number of our members, myself included, are also GM&O HS
      members. We have historians, artists, and railroad enthusiasts as
      part of our membership, and not all of our list members are local
      to the Mobile area.

      Concerning the Railroad Museum project, we are interested in
      supporting these efforts, and are happy that Doug and his group
      have taken up the challenge to try and make it a reality. Any help
      this group can get in this regard is welcome. I will leave it up
      to Doug to provide a more detailed description of his group.

      Craig McGraw
      Webmaster, M&BS RR HS, Member #1
      GM&O HS, Member #2175