Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

  • VPolzin@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
      Hi
      My name is Jenny. I am from Bham and living in Jax Fl.Several of my relatives
      are working on genealogy for the Thomas,Bradfords,Sherley,Fortner,Hale and
      Sniders.If anyone is working on the same family lines email me

      I never knew people moved so much in the 1600,1700,and 1800's.
    • Debbie Pendleton
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
        Welcome Sallye:
        Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as the community postmaster. This information is from the book Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last week so it was fresh on my mind.

        Debbie Pendleton
        Assistant Director for Public Services
        Alabama Department of Archives and History
        PO Box 300100
        Montgomery, AL 36130
        dpendlet@...
        http://www.archives.state.al.us
      • Max Shores
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
          At 08:05 PM 2/22/99 -0500, you wrote:
          >From: SStew49@...
          >
          >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
          Currently I
          >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
          who
          >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
          >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
          >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
          Co.,
          >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
          >Any help would be appreciated.
          >Sallye

          Chandler Springs is located in Talladega County. You may find some helpful
          information on the Talladega County ALGenWeb site which is located at:

          <a
          href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/">http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/
          </a>

          Max Shores
          max@...
          http://www.alabamainfo.com
        • Curtis L. Clark
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
            Both _Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts_ by James Sulzby and the
            previously mentioned _Place Names in Alabama_ by Virginia Foscue are
            available in paperback editions from the The University of Alabama Press.

            You can visit our website at www.uapress.ua.edu for more information or call
            773-568-1550 to place an order.

            Thanks.

            Curtis L. Clark
            Assistant Director
            Editor-in-Chief
            The University of Alabama Press
            Box 870380
            Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0380
            Phone: 205-348-1561
            Fax: 205-348-9201
            > Chandler Springs, Alabama was named for James Chandler who
            > settled in the area in 1832, moving to Alabama from Texas. He
            > discovered the mineral springs in the area and built a hotel
            > which became a popular resort. James Chandler later served as
            > the community postmaster. This information is from the book
            > Historic Alabama Hotels and Resorts by James Sulzby, published in
            > 1960. I had an e-mail request for this same information last
            > week so it was fresh on my mind.
            >
            > Debbie Pendleton
            > Assistant Director for Public Services
            > Alabama Department of Archives and History
            > PO Box 300100
            > Montgomery, AL 36130
            > dpendlet@...
            > http://www.archives.state.al.us

            > If you like the colors orange and blue, you will like our new web site!
            > http://www.onelist.com
            > Archives for the list can be viewed at
            > http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory

          • Mindy Wilson
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 23, 1999
              "Place Names in Alabama" by Virginia Foscue was published by the
              University of Alabama Press in 1989. If you're interested in
              purchasing a copy, call the Chicago Distribution Center at 800-621-
              2736. (They're warehousing all UAP books now.)

              Date sent: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:02:42 -0500
              To: alabamahistory@onelist.com
              From: Dean Costello <costello@...>
              Send reply to: alabamahistory@onelist.com
              Subject: [alabamahistory] Re: Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com

              From: Dean Costello <costello@...>

              >I am a displaced (perhaps misplaced) Alabamian living in Florida.
              Currently I
              >am researching my family roots. Accidently, I discovered someone in Texas
              who
              >is researching her roots. It would appear that our family trees rub together
              >in Clay Co., AL in the late 1800s. Does anyone out there know who Chandler
              >Springs is named for? Chandler Springs is located (I think) in Talladega
              Co.,
              >but it could possibly be in Clay Co. (its close to the line).
              >Any help would be appreciated.

              I bought (and subsequently lost) a book which was called something like
              "The History of Placenames in Alabama", which explains the origins of the
              names of cities, towns, and villages all over the state. That might be a
              place to start.

              I picked up my copy about five years ago at Cahawba, but I discovered it
              AWOL when I was rearranging my library back in November.
              -
              Dean Costello

              We have a new web site! http://www.onelist.com
              Archives for the list can be viewed at
              http://www.onelist.com/archives.cgi/alabamahistory
              Mindy Wilson
              Assistant Acquisitions Editor
              University of Alabama Press
              Phone: 205/348-5538
              Fax: 205/348-9201
              mwilson@...
            • Debbie Pendleton

                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 24, 1999
                  Thank you so much - That pretty much eliminates him from my research - My
                  Chandlers came from GA in the 1870's. He may be a VERY distant relative, but
                  not of the line I am researching.
                  Sallye
                • CLEAVE3@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 6, 1999
                    Hello!

                    I am interested in the postal history of Alabama (as well as Mississippi) from
                    the beginning (around 1780) until the establishment of the Universal Postal
                    Union (UPU) in 1875. As you probably know, the mails were vital in earlier
                    times as there was no other form of communication. My interest in postal
                    history is primarily in the towns and their postal makings. I have done quite
                    a bit of research on the development of post offices in AL, but still have
                    questions about the origin of certain towns. I suspect county/local
                    historians could help me, as I them. Anyone with similar interests can email
                    me at cleave3@.... Thank you. Regards, Van Koppersmith, Mobile
                  • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 20, 1999
                      HI ALABAMA HISTORY ! I HAVE SEARCHED FOR A SITE LIKE THIS FOR A LONG TIME AND
                      AM SO GLAD THAT I HAVE FINALLY FOUND IT THROUGH A FRIEND! I AM AN
                      ADMINISTRATOR AT AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY AND HAVE LOTS OF "HISTORIANS "
                      THERE- I WOULD LOVE ACCESS TO THIS SITE TO LOOK UP INFO FOR THEM FROM TIME TO
                      TIME. WE HEAR A LOT OF PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF SITUATIONS THAT HAVE HAPPENED IN
                      THE HISTORY OF THE STATE AND NEED A WAY TO VERIFY THE ACTUALITY OF THESE
                      EVENTS. THANKS
                    • Marge Himes
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 24, 1999
                        Hi all,
                        I lived in Alabama from 1956-1971, graduating from Tuscaloosa High
                        Sch (now Central HS) in '66. My mother's family has been in Tusc
                        since 1920's. She was born in Samantha,Al (died '79) my grfather
                        worked the coal mines in Peterson I understand. I married into the
                        AirForce and traveled for the next 25 years. Germany, Turkey, Hawaii
                        & retired AF life in Albuquerque, NM. Not liking NM, my husband & I
                        moved to Iowa (his home). I really get homesick, I love to talk about
                        my "home" every chance I get. My son is 23, we have gotten into some
                        pretty "consistent" conversations about the south. I finally got to
                        introduce him to Tuscaloosa 2 yrs ago. When meeting my uncle & aunt
                        his face dropped to the floor when they made him DECLARE his favorite
                        team before walking thru their front door. (He had not seen my family
                        since he was 4) He choose Auburn & immediately started civil war. My
                        family is split half & half. I am & have always been an Alabama fan,
                        & still BELIEVE in BEAR Bryant football.
                        My daughter is 26, married w/two sons,2&4. They live in Lubbock, Tx
                        where my son-in-law is finishing his senior yr at Lubbock Christian.
                        Like I said I miss my home and love to reminisce about old times. Ive
                        missed alot of changes & growth in Ala but am still interested in
                        where she is going or where shes been

                        >From: alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com
                        >To: marge50@...
                        >Subject: [alabamahistory] Welcome to alabamahistory@onelist.com
                        >Date: 24 Apr 1999 14:27:19 -0000
                        >
                        >Hello,
                        >
                        >Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please
                        take a moment
                        >to review this message.
                        >
                        >I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone
                        interested in any
                        >aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in
                        general would
                        >have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar
                        interests. Feel
                        >free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a
                        little bit
                        >about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
                        >
                        >This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before
                        distribution
                        >to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before
                        your messages
                        >are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant
                        posts to the
                        >list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are
                        >distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will
                        return to
                        >moderating
                        >messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to
                        Alabama history
                        >that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in
                        other
                        >discussions on the list!
                        >
                        >As of 15 April 1999 the list had 72 subscribers.
                        >
                        >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                        >http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the
                        menu bar on
                        >the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                        between digest
                        >and normal mode.
                        >

                        >Thanks,
                        >
                        >A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
                        >Dept of Anesthesiology Library
                        >School of Medicine
                        >University of Alabama at Birmingham
                        >
                        >anesuab@... OR meds002@...

                      • Tanique Crawford
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 20, 1999
                          My daugther has to do a report on the state of Alabama. I would love to have
                          some information best suitable for a 9 year old in the 4th grade for her report
                          on this state. Could you please help us. Much appreciated.
                        • LYNNESBOS@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                            Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                            monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                            Lynne Janes Blanton
                          • Max Shores
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 21, 1999
                              At 07:51 PM 5/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
                              >From: LYNNESBOS@...
                              >
                              >Thank you, I am trying to search my family history.I think we came from
                              >monroeville alabama or this is what i have been told.Maybe you can help me.
                              > Lynne Janes
                              Blanton

                              Monroeville is located in Monroe County. The Monroe County Genealogy site
                              located at

                              <a
                              href="http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe">http://www.rootsweb.com/~almonroe/<
                              /a>

                              might be a good place to begin your search.

                              Max Shores
                              max@...
                              http://www.alabamainfo.com
                            • SWEETBAMAA@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 22, 1999
                                Is there a geneaology site for Barbour county area?
                                Linda Greer
                              • SwimmerAL@xxx.xxx
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jun 4, 1999
                                  alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com writes:

                                  > Feel
                                  > free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit
                                  > about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.

                                  Hi A.J.! Thanks for the welcome. Can't wait to find out what the list is
                                  about. My interest in joining the list came from the fact that I live in the
                                  great state of Alabama. I love hearing all about the state. Once again,
                                  thanks for the welcome.
                                  Beth
                                • Jean LeVitt
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                    Hi!

                                    I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                    Jean

                                  • mlstarns@xxxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                      Hi Jean

                                      I grew up in the shadow of Woodward Iron Company, It is now called
                                      Koppers. You can still see the company houses and some of the stores
                                      near the plant. It is in the Dolomite Community of Birmingham in Western
                                      Jefferson co. I live near there still.

                                      I hope this helps you some. If you need more information let me know
                                      maybe I can help some.

                                      Mary

                                      On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:19:28 -0500 Jean LeVitt <jgml@...> writes:
                                      > From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>
                                      >
                                      > Hi!
                                      >
                                      > I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town
                                      > for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't
                                      > know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for
                                      > the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward.
                                      > My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone
                                      > knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be
                                      > happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.
                                      >
                                      > Jean

                                    • Margaret Eakin
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 2, 1999
                                        1. Click on the following URL to see photos of the Woodward Iron Company

                                        http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hh1.html

                                        2. This one's info on the Woodward family.

                                        http://www.artsbma.org/g2hitt.html

                                        3. The attached site from the U.S. Geologic Survey shows the location
                                        of Woodward. You might explore this site further for other info of
                                        interest --- it also shows the location of historical features (mills,
                                        ferries, schools) that no longer exist.

                                        http://mapping.usgs.gov:8888/gnis/owa/MapServer?f_name=Woodward&f_state=AL&f_latlong=332607N0865729W&f_type=ppl&server=TIGER

                                        Hope this info is helpful to anyone on the list interested in Woodward Iron Company. I have other sites that reference photos � especially of a locomotive that was built specially for the Company.

                                        Margaret Eakin

                                        --
                                        MZ�
                                      • VeeKayInn@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 3, 1999
                                          I did a forward of ur message tothe AlaBenton Genealogical Society
                                          Quarterly Editor.

                                          From: Jean LeVitt <jgml@...>

                                          Hi!

                                          I'm interested in learning about the history of an old company town for the Woodward Iron Company called,of course, Woodward. I don't know if the town still exists in any way. My grandfather worked for the company for at least thirty years and retired there in Woodward. My mother was born there. It is or was near Bessemer. If anyone knows anything about it, I would appreciate hearing. I will be happy to pass on any info I find about others interests.

                                          Jean

                                          alabamahistory-owner@onelist.com wrote:

                                          > Hello,
                                          >
                                          > Welcome to the alabamahistory@onelist.com discussion list. Please take a moment to review this message.
                                          >
                                          > I created this list in late September, 1998, so that anyone interested in any aspect of Alabama's fascinating history, folklore and culture in general would have a place on the net to find other individuals with similar interests. Feel free to introduce yourself to the list if you wish and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest(s) in Alabama history.
                                          >
                                          > This list is moderated; all messages must have my approval before distribution to all subscribers. This situation may result in some delay before your messages are distributed but will also prevent spam and other irrelevant posts to the list. [P.S. As of 3/99 I have set alabamahistory so that messages are distributed immediately to subscribers. If problems occur, I will return to moderating messages.] I hope you will share any WWW resources related to Alabama history that you discover as you explore cyberspace and initiate and join in other discussions on the list! To get you started, you can find a lengthy list of Alabama-related links [and even some history ones!] at
                                          >
                                          > http://www.anes.uab.edu/birmingham_links.htm
                                          >
                                          > As of 20 September 1999 the list had 106 subscribers.
                                          >
                                          > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                          > http://www.onelist.com and select the Member Center button from the menu bar on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription between digest and normal mode or suspend list mail delivery while you are on vacation.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > A.J. Wright, MLS /// Moderator, alabamahistory
                                          > Dept of Anesthesiology Library
                                          > School of Medicine
                                          > University of Alabama at Birmingham
                                          >
                                          > anesuab@... OR meds002@...

                                          Archives for the list can be viewed at
                                          http://www.onelist.com/archives/alabamahistory
                                        • Buddy Sledge
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 5, 1999
                                            While I know next to nothing about company towns in the
                                            Birmingham district, Dr. David Lewis at Auburn University or Dr.
                                            Marlene Rikard at Samford University might be able to assist you.
                                            Both are extremely knowledgable about this subject. You also
                                            might try someone at Sloss Furnaces or at the Birmingham
                                            Historical Society.

                                            Best of Luck -

                                            Buddy Sledge
                                            Truett-McConnell College
                                          • b1nchc08
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 8, 1999
                                              Hi,
                                              I covered Alabama from 19995 to 1999 as a diplomat responsible for
                                              attracting Alabamese investment in my country. But I had the privilege to
                                              attend the 300 anniversary of the foundation of Biloxi in February 1999 in
                                              Mississippi and discovered that Mobile's anniversary was coming soon. There
                                              is a French era in Alabama's development that I am curious to know and as
                                              well now the influx of Latinos is most interesting to fathom as it will
                                              shape the future of this great State. The Civil War or the War of the States
                                              is another era that fascinates me. The influence of the African-American
                                              heritage, constructions, food, music, as well is incredible to discover. I
                                              am always confounded by the inventiveness and the resilience demonstrated by
                                              the Confederate armies whose desperate efforts are admirable but led to the
                                              United States of America as we know them today. Fascinating as well the fact
                                              that after such a terrible war all Alabamans are today to the fullest very
                                              proud to be identified to USA. And I have not mentioned the mysterious
                                              hills, and other fabulous places that this Great State holds. The rich
                                              Indian past with so many tribes that D'Iberville mentioned in his reports.
                                              Hence my signature to know more.
                                              JP
[...]

                                              As of 23 November 1999 the list had 119 subscribers.