FW: Eight! No, Nine! [more on Capitol Book & News author sigining tomorrow Dec 8]

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2001

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:tmu@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 10:08 AM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Eight! No, Nine!

      The Capitol Book Newsletter
      Wednesday December 5, 2001

      Books are always the best Christmas presents, and autographed books
      especially so. So
      we're giving you all the gift-buying opportunity of the year! We have
      assembled EIGHT
      authors of this year's most popular books (NINE, if you count one
      photographer), and
      they'll ALL be here THIS SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8, FROM 1-4 PM. No matter what
      kind of
      books your favorite folks prefer, you'll be able to get 'em something really
      good at
      this event. Short stories, a novel, local history, a cookbook, poetry,
      reminisences,
      quilt stuff - all that and more, and all can be personally inscribed to your
      loved
      ones.

      And not only that, but the food you won't believe! Read on....here's the
      list of
      everybody who'll be here....well, everybody except YOU. If you can't come,
      just send
      us your list of the books you want, how you want them signed, and even where
      you want
      them mailed. We'll take care of it all, and giftwrap, too! DO NOT MISS THIS
      ONE!

      Here's the lineup......

      JEFFREY BENTON and JIM GOODWYN
      "A Sense of Place: Montgomery's Architectural Heritage" 79 historic
      buildings,
      including private homes, churches and schools and government buildings,
      along with
      their personal, private, and public histories. This one will be fascinating
      everyone who has ever lived in Montgomery. Already our hottest Christmas
      book, this
      one is GREAT! ($39.95)

      CECIL McMILLAN
      First published in 1979, unavailable for far too long, we celebrated when
      "The Blue
      Moon Revisited" was republished this year. 30 new recipes have been added
      to this
      must-have cookbook. Not only that, you can taste for yourself on Saturday
      as Mr.
      McMillan will be preparing the day's refreshments from our favorite
      cookbook.
      ($16.99)

      SUNSHINE HUFF
      It took the Alabama writer sometimes known as Mary Elizabeth Johnson, to
      pull
      together the history, lore, personal stories, and heirloom quilts of the
      Mississippi
      Quilt Project. This is an absolutely beautiful book, which also features
      photographs
      and quotes from Eudora Welty, who was honorary chairperson of the project.
      ($30)

      GEORGE SINGLETON
      This book of short stories "These People Are Us" has received great acclaim
      since
      coming out earlier this year. Most of them feature a similar narrator, an
      over-educated, under-employed, hard drinking, likable and very funny guy.
      He'll make
      you laugh and cry. ($23.95)

      BART BARTON
      Don Noble reviewed "The Dry Well" on Alabama Public Radio this past Monday.
      He
      compared the writing to Larry Brown, Cormac McCarthy and Faulkner. We
      couldn't agree
      more. Short stories set in a small Alabama town over the last hundred
      years, this
      one is really wonderful. ($24.95) (Note: Bart is driving here directly from
      an
      autograph party in Birmingham that same day....so he'll be a little late to
      the
      party. We expect him about 2:30)

      WAYNE GREENHAW
      "My Heart Is in the Earth: True Stories of Alabama and Mexico" has received
      rave
      reviews from Pat Conroy, Harper Lee, Winston Groom, and Fannie Flagg. The
      good folks
      around here like it a lot too. Whether he is writing about growing up in
      small town
      Alabama, traveling the backroads of his home state or following his heart to
      Mexico,
      you will enjoy every step. ($25)

      JUDY OLIVER
      It was so easy to fall in love with this book "Music of Falling Water."
      Partly a
      mystery, certainly the story of a family, we see a different vision of what
      happened
      from each character, and learn from every one of them. ($21.95) We're also
      happy to
      report that the University of Alabama Press has just reprinted Judy's first
      novel
      "Goodbye to the Buttermilk Sky." ($16.95)

      JEANIE THOMPSON
      Of course we have to have a poet, so we picked a really good one. "White
      for
      Harvest" collects poems from Jeanie's first two books along with sixteen new
      works
      that chart the joy and pain of children, family, loves lost and found, and
      the
      continuing resonance of her native Southern landscape. They are rich,
      dramatic and
      empathetic. "To look up and out is the point." ($20)

      (Note: Many people have asked us how we can possibly handle such a large
      crowd of
      writers at one time. We probably can't, but the chaos will be part of the
      fun, we
      hope. Come check it out!)

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company