FW: Charlotte Miller appearance at Capitol Bks in Montgomery Oct 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2001

      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 2:24 PM
      To: Capitol Book E-Letter List
      Subject: Charlotte Miller

      The Capitol Book E-Letter
      Wednesday, October 3, 2001

      Today's Contents
      1. Charlotte Miller Here Tomorrow
      2. Historic Newspaper For Sale

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Charlotte Miller Here Tomorrow

      One of our surprise successes in the past year or so was the party we
      had for Charlotte Miller's first book, "Behold, This Dreamer." We sold
      lots of copies that day, and many more in subsequent weeks as word of
      mouth spread about this big, sprawling book set in Depression era
      Alabama. So we were delighted to learn that it was just the first of a
      planned trilogy, and now we're even more delighted that the second book
      ("Through a Glass, Darkly") is finished, and that Charlotte will be here
      at the store TOMORROW, THURSDAY OCTOBER 4 FROM 5-7 PM, to sign copies of
      the new book.

      If you read the first book, you'll remember Janson and Elise Sanders. In
      the new book, Janson and Elise, exiled by her wealthy father, have
      returned, penniless and landless, to his poor-but-proud relatives in
      Alabama. There, they struggle to build a life for themselves and to
      recover the family farm stolen from Janson by an unscrupulous local
      landowner.

      Here's what a few of our other favorite authors have to say about the
      new book:

      "Through a Glass, Darkly has what most current novels sadly lack: a
      strong narrative line, surprisingly maintained through what appears at
      first to be digressive but in fact ends by contributing to an overall
      unity. The novel should please many readers, as well as reliably inform
      them about the deplorable economic conditions that, during the 1920's
      and 30's, prevailed in Alabama and other parts of the South."

      --Madison Jones

      "If you liked Behold, This Dreamer, you'll love Through A Glass, Darkly.
      Charlotte Miller has given us a story of how love and honor can wage a
      cruelly uneven battle against greed, arrogance, poverty, malevolent
      evil, and the unmerciful hand of fate -- and yet, somehow, prevail. The
      book is a triumph of storytelling. The story is a triumph of the human
      spirit."

      --Robert Inman, author of Coming Home: Life, Love, and All Things
      Southern,
      Dairy Queen Days, Home Fires Burning, and other novels.

      "In Through a Glass, Darkly, Charlotte Miller invokes the deep rural
      South, and a time, a place, and a people so accurately that one can
      almost hear the beat of a heart, the touch of a hand on a cheek. As a
      major chronicler of our near past, with both its darkness and light,
      Miller has penned a novel in which the lives of the characters soon
      become almost as real as our own. She is a true Southern author in the
      best sense of the word, and this book will leave her fans waiting for
      more."

      --Rosemary Daniell, author of Fatal Flowers: On Sin, Sex and Suicide in
      the Deep South,
      Confessions of a (Female) Chauvinist, and other books.

      "Engrossing continuation of the fictional account of Janson and Elise,
      newly married and faced with personal and community problems as hard
      times set in. The good in perfect counterpoint with evil. Absorbing
      blend of history and fiction."

      ----Helen Norris, Poet Laureate of Alabama, recipient of the Harper Lee
      Award for Distinguished Alabama Author, and author of One Day in the
      Life of a Born Again Loser and The Christmas Wife

      So come on by tomorrow, and meet Charlotte, and treat yourself to
      something good. As always, we'll be glad to have books signed for you if
      you can't make it to the store. Just let us know. ($27.95 hardback).
      We'll also have copies of the first book here, both in hardback ($27.95)
      and paperback ($18.95).

      And by the way, if you'd like a sneak peek at the book, for free, just
      go to this web site:
      http://www.newsouthbooks.com/books/tagd_miller/excerpt.htm

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      September 12 New York Times

      We must have had 100 calls for the New York Times on the day after the
      terrorist attacks, but we only had one or two copies of the paper to
      sell. But now, through a special arrangement, we have about 25 copies of
      that day's paper, and these copies are not the southern regional copies
      we usually get, but the actual New York City editions. These papers will
      make extraordinary keepsakes.

      But here's the deal. These newspapers are $10 per copy, limit one copy
      per person. ALL the proceeds go to the Red Cross Relief Fund. We'll be
      glad to hold a copy for you, but ONLY FOR 24 HOURS. After that, they'll
      go to the next person on the waiting list.

      Thomas Upchurch
      Capitol Book & News Company
      334-265-1473 Voice
      http://www.capitolbook.com