FW: GAR Posts in Alabama

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2001
      Any leads for Mr. Hogan? --aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: badger@... [mailto:badger@...]
      Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 12:03 PM
      To: ajwright@...
      Subject: GAR Posts in Alabama

      I have been receiving ur nesletter for some time and have found some
      interesting items, which I have saved for future reference, and for which I
      thank you.
      Now I'd like to request a favor.
      The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was a Union Civil War veteran's
      association that began in 1866, and continued to 1946. There were a number
      of Posts in the State of Alabama which were established beginning
      before1881 and continued until at least 1907, but probably longer.
      There was also a Sons of Union Veterans organization which was established
      as the legal heir to the GAR in 1881.
      I am trying to find any information that I can about the various Posts of
      both organizations and ur newsletter may be able to help in my quest.
      The Posts were located in the following cities:
      Birmingham, Cullman, Huntsville, Larkinsville, Montgomery, Anniston,
      Decatur, Florence, Steele's Depot, Mobile, Ft.Payne, Athens, Townley,
      Moulton, Double Springs, and Rowland.
      Some cities may have had 2 Posts, of which one may have been for "colored"
      soldiers. These cities were:
      Birmingham, Decatur, Anniston, Larkinsville, Huntsville, Florence, and
      Athens/Rowland.
      If any of ur readers have knowledge of the location of information about
      any of these Posts, such as libraries or historical societies, I would
      appreciate hearing from them.
      Thank you for ur time.

      Brian Hogan
      275 River Cove Rd.