looking for Alabama tinmen

  • Brackner, Joey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001
      I have an unusual request. I am helping a former professor, folklorist
      Archie Green, who will publish a book on tinmen with Univ. of Illinois Press
      next year. I'm talking about full-sized tinmen like the one from the Wizard
      of Oz. These were the product of an art form practiced by sheet metal
      workers throughout the country to show off their skill.

      I remember one perched on the top of a heating and cooling store on Warrior
      Rd. (Approaching Five Points West from Fairfield) from my childhood. I have
      been unable to find a photo of it or information about it.

      Can anyone out there help me find an Alabama tinman for inclusion in Dr.
      Green's book? You may respond to me at the email address below. Thanks!

      Joey Brackner
      Alabama State Council on the Arts
      201 Monroe St.
      Montgomery, AL 36104
      joey@...
      334-242-4076, x-225
      FAX 334-240-3269
      www.arts.state.al.us <http://www.arts.state.al.us>
    • HoytCagle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001
        There is one in Morgan County, AL at the intersection of State Highway 36 and
        County Road 22.  County Road 22 is still known in Morgan and Lawrence
        Counties as "Iron Man Road."  This is near (in?) the town of Hartselle.