Re: [alabamahistory] Digest Number 496

  • Elizabeth F. Shores
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20 5:06 AM
      Hey, A.J.! I don't blame you for wondering if anyone reads your Alabama digests. Your question reminds me of the vague dissatisfaction my husband sometimes felt as a reporter for United Press International. After he hit "send", his articles went over the telephone wires to newspapers and radio stations around the world, but he rarely knew whether anyone ran them. Once in a blue moon, someone would send him a clipping of an article with his "F.B. Johnson" byline and he knew that at least a wire editor somewhere had read the article, if not any actual
      readers of the newspaper.

      As for your wonderful reports, I usually save them, unopened, and read a couple dozen at a time when I have a chance. I love them!

      Elizabeth F. Shores
      Little Rock

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20 11:11 AM
        hi! good to hear from you...glad you enjoy the listings...I heard from
        several subscribers in response to my query, so at least a few are reading
        them!!--aj wright // ajwright@...

> [...]

        > Message: 4
        > Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:58:09
        > From: "Edith Shores" <eshores@...>
        > Subject: Re: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
        >
        > Dear AJ: In answer to your question, "Is anybody reading these things?",
        > want you to know that, although I don't always read every word, I found
        that
        > particular page very interesting and opened most items and read them. I
        > usually read some of each page you send. I enjoy the daily record of
        Alabama
        > history. I did not read everything about George Wallace's stand in the
        > schoolhouse door because I remember that day as though it were last
        > month--well actually better than I remember last month! Maybe, I'll have
        > chance to tell you about that day in my life sometime.
        >
        > I really look forward to your daily missiles. Keep 'em comin'.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Linda Hood
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20 12:37 PM

          hi! good to hear from you...glad you enjoy the listings...I heard from
          several subscribers in response to my query, so at least a few are reading
          them!!--aj wright // ajwright@...

          Some time ago, you wrote something related to a Zitella Cocke, a poet and composer.  I am interested in Zitella because I have found her to be part of my family tree.  Therefore, I would like to find all that I can related to her.  I have checked out the Perry County website, and several other sites.  Have looked for her book, but have been unable to locate a copy.  Please forward any information you might have on her.  Thank you,  lchood>

        • Jennifer Beck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20 12:48 PM
            Ms. Hood,
                I am a grad student at Auburn University in Montgomery and I am currently writing my thesis on Miss Zitella Cocke.  She was a prolific writer who left behind 295+ poems and many short stories and essays.  She was also an accomplished musician and composer.  I have been researching her for some time and there are many interesting facts about her life, actually too many to send in a email.  But the Ala. Department of Archives does have a collection containing some biographical data, letters, and much of her writings, they also have copies of her books.  Also, Judson College in Marion, Ala. has a few letters to and about her, her three books, as well as a piece of her music. If you would like to contact me, my email address is jjllbb97@...

            Jennifer L. Beck, Library Assistant II
            UAB Archives

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20 12:52 PM
              There is some information about Zitella Cocke, her protrait, and some of her poetry on the website of the Alabama Department of Archives and History, in the section about 19th century artist Nicola Marschall, at http://www.archives.state.al.us/marschall/JZ_Cocke.html

              Mark Palmer
              Web Project Supervisor
              jjllbb97@... <mailto:jjllbb97@...>

              them!!--aj wright // ajwright@... <mailto:ajwright@...>

              Some time ago, you wrote something related to a Zitella Cocke, a poet and
              composer! . I am interested in Zitella because I have found her to be part
              of my family tree. Therefore, I would like to find all that I can related
              to her. I have checked out the Perry County website, and several other
              sites. Have looked for her book, but have been unable to locate a copy.
              Please forward any information you might have on her. Thank you, lchood>

              <http://explorer.msn.com/>

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168002.1477935.3051340.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700137079:N/
              A=624150/*http://mojofarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-2?bn=LikeManDVD4