RE: [alabamahistory] Digest Number 496

  • vonbear
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2001
      Dear Folks:

      I read each and every message. Thank you for your kindness.

      James H.Evans

      From: "Debbie Pendleton" <dpendlet@...>
      2. Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
      From: "A.J. Wright" <a.j.wright@...>
      3. Re: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
      From: "John Hardin" <jhardin@...>
      4. Re: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
      From: "Edith Shores" <eshores@...>
      5. Re: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
      From: "Denise J" <denisej@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:55:39 -0500
      From: "Debbie Pendleton" <dpendlet@...>
      Subject: Alabama Studies Symposium

      Symposium Explores Alabama*s Rich Heritage

      Explore Alabama*s rich cultural and political heritage during the Alabama
      Studies Symposium a two-day workshop which takes place Friday, July 20 and
      Saturday, July 21 in the auditoriums of the Alabama State Capitol and
      Alabama Department of Archives and History. The Symposium will feature
      presentations and activities including two optional preconference workshops.
      An interactive Friday afternoon session on music and dance promises a
      foot-stomping good time. Preregistration (before July 13) is $30 per
      person; on site registration is $40 per person.

      Keynote speaker, Dr. David Mathews, President, Kettering Foundation, will
      address the question
      *What Do We Know About the Public That Created Alabama*s Public Schools?*.
      Concurrent sessions will explore Alabama*s diverse history from early
      American Indians to the role of the Air National Guard in the Bay of Pigs
      Invasion to studying Alabama's towns.

      This program is a perfect opportunity for the general public to learn more
      about Alabama*s rich history and will especially benefit teachers
      integrating Alabama history into the classroom curriculum. The Symposium is
      co-sponsored by the Friends of the Alabama Archives, the Alabama Department
      of Archives and History, the Alabama State Council on the Arts, the Alabama
      Historical Commission, and the Alabama Humanities Foundation, a state
      program of the National Endowment for the Humanities.

      For more information call (334) 242-4363, ext. 235. For a complete schedule
      and registration form see
      http://www.archives.state.al.us/whatsnew/sympos2k1.html.

      Debbie Pendleton
      Assistant Director for Public Services
      Alabama Department of Archives and History
      PO Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130-0100
      dpendlet@...
      http://www.archives.state.al.us

      Message: 2
      Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 14:51:32 -0500
      From: "A.J. Wright" <a.j.wright@...>
      Subject: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001

      fyi..aj wright // ajwright@...

      **1956 June 6- A three-judge federal court rules that racial segregation on
      Montgomery city buses is unconstitutional, ending the
      Montgomery bus boycott.
      1935 June 6- Jesse Owens is elected Captain of the 1936 track team at Ohio
      State
      University. He is the first African American to hold such position
      on any Ohio State Team.

      FROM: Today in Black History
      To SUBSCRIBE send E-mail to: <LISTSERV@...>
      In the E-mail body place: Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name

      **1863 June 5: CSS "Alabama" captures the "Tailsman" in the Mid Atlantic.
      FROM: Today in History/Poor Gabriel's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **Memorial to a lost cause
      Group honors soldiers who fought for South
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/4-e346706b.html
      Birmingham News 4 June 2001

      **Hope comes to small town
      Good jobs, safe and affordable housing, strong schools and a reliable sewage
      system have been a dream in Annemanie [some history in this article!]
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/4-e321825b.html
      Birmingham News 4 June 2001

      **Thousands of Hank fans from around world flock to Georgiana
      http://www.al.com/news/mobile/?Jun2001/4-a428076a.html
      Mobile Register 4 June 2001

      **Who was Jefferson Davis? Question stumps some people
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/4-e7255.html
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2001

      **Gurley Baptist church celebrates 125 years
      Congregation dresses in period clothes, recalls history, looks to future
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/4-e36991.html
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2001

      **State's Sephardic Jewish community disappearing
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/3-e213941a.html
      Birmingham News 3 June 2001

      **Stevenson Depot Days Festival is on track for fun this week
      20th event will have antique vehicles, music and logging contest
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/3-e16092.html
      Huntsville Times 3 June 2001

      [note to any subscribers who read this far: IS anyone actually reading these
      listings??--aj]

      Message: 3
      Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:49:30 -0500
      From: "John Hardin" <jhardin@...>

      <<<<<<[note to any subscribers who read this far: IS anyone actually reading
      these
      listings??--aj]>>>>>>>>>

      YES!!! And we appreciate it!

      Message: 4
      Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:58:09
      From: "Edith Shores" <eshores@...>

      Dear AJ: In answer to your question, "Is anybody reading these things?", I
      want you to know that, although I don't always read every word, I found that
      particular page very interesting and opened most items and read them. I
      usually read some of each page you send. I enjoy the daily record of Alabama
      history. I did not read everything about George Wallace's stand in the
      schoolhouse door because I remember that day as though it were last
      month--well actually better than I remember last month! Maybe, I'll have a
      chance to tell you about that day in my life sometime.

      I really look forward to your daily missiles. Keep 'em comin'.

      Grandma Edith

      Message: 5
      Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:53:30 -0400
      From: "Denise J" <denisej@...>

      I agree. I read every Posting.
      > <<<<<<[note to any subscribers who read this far: IS anyone actually
      reading these
      > listings??--aj]>>>>>>>>>
      >
      > YES!!! And we appreciate it!
      >

      > An archive of messages for this list since September 1998 can be viewed at
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/archive/alabamahistory

    • Elizabeth F. Shores
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2001
        Hey, A.J.! I don't blame you for wondering if anyone reads your Alabama digests. Your question reminds me of the vague dissatisfaction my husband sometimes felt as a reporter for United Press International. After he hit "send", his articles went over the telephone wires to newspapers and radio stations around the world, but he rarely knew whether anyone ran them. Once in a blue moon, someone would send him a clipping of an article with his "F.B. Johnson" byline and he knew that at least a wire editor somewhere had read the article, if not any actual
        readers of the newspaper.

        As for your wonderful reports, I usually save them, unopened, and read a couple dozen at a time when I have a chance. I love them!

        Elizabeth F. Shores
        Little Rock

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2001
          hi! good to hear from you...glad you enjoy the listings...I heard from
          several subscribers in response to my query, so at least a few are reading
          them!!--aj wright // ajwright@...

> [...]

          > Message: 4
          > Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:58:09
          > From: "Edith Shores" <eshores@...>
          > Subject: Re: Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001
          >
          > Dear AJ: In answer to your question, "Is anybody reading these things?",
          > want you to know that, although I don't always read every word, I found
          that
          > particular page very interesting and opened most items and read them. I
          > usually read some of each page you send. I enjoy the daily record of
          Alabama
          > history. I did not read everything about George Wallace's stand in the
          > schoolhouse door because I remember that day as though it were last
          > month--well actually better than I remember last month! Maybe, I'll have
          > chance to tell you about that day in my life sometime.
          >
          > I really look forward to your daily missiles. Keep 'em comin'.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Linda Hood
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2001

            hi! good to hear from you...glad you enjoy the listings...I heard from
            several subscribers in response to my query, so at least a few are reading
            them!!--aj wright // ajwright@...

            Some time ago, you wrote something related to a Zitella Cocke, a poet and composer.  I am interested in Zitella because I have found her to be part of my family tree.  Therefore, I would like to find all that I can related to her.  I have checked out the Perry County website, and several other sites.  Have looked for her book, but have been unable to locate a copy.  Please forward any information you might have on her.  Thank you,  lchood>

          • Jennifer Beck
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2001
              Ms. Hood,
                  I am a grad student at Auburn University in Montgomery and I am currently writing my thesis on Miss Zitella Cocke.  She was a prolific writer who left behind 295+ poems and many short stories and essays.  She was also an accomplished musician and composer.  I have been researching her for some time and there are many interesting facts about her life, actually too many to send in a email.  But the Ala. Department of Archives does have a collection containing some biographical data, letters, and much of her writings, they also have copies of her books.  Also, Judson College in Marion, Ala. has a few letters to and about her, her three books, as well as a piece of her music. If you would like to contact me, my email address is jjllbb97@...

              Jennifer L. Beck, Library Assistant II
              UAB Archives

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2001
                There is some information about Zitella Cocke, her protrait, and some of her poetry on the website of the Alabama Department of Archives and History, in the section about 19th century artist Nicola Marschall, at http://www.archives.state.al.us/marschall/JZ_Cocke.html

                Mark Palmer
                Web Project Supervisor
                jjllbb97@... <mailto:jjllbb97@...>

                them!!--aj wright // ajwright@... <mailto:ajwright@...>

                Some time ago, you wrote something related to a Zitella Cocke, a poet and
                composer! . I am interested in Zitella because I have found her to be part
                of my family tree. Therefore, I would like to find all that I can related
                to her. I have checked out the Perry County website, and several other
                sites. Have looked for her book, but have been unable to locate a copy.
                Please forward any information you might have on her. Thank you, lchood>

                <http://explorer.msn.com/>

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168002.1477935.3051340.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700137079:N/
                A=624150/*http://mojofarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-2?bn=LikeManDVD4