Alabama History/Culture in the News: 3-6 June 2001

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2001

      **1956 June 6- A three-judge federal court rules that racial segregation on
      Montgomery city buses is unconstitutional, ending the
      Montgomery bus boycott.
      1935 June 6- Jesse Owens is elected Captain of the 1936 track team at Ohio
      State
      University. He is the first African American to hold such position
      on any Ohio State Team.

      FROM: Today in Black History
      To SUBSCRIBE send E-mail to: <LISTSERV@...>
      In the E-mail body place: Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name

      **1863 June 5: CSS "Alabama" captures the "Tailsman" in the Mid Atlantic.
      FROM: Today in History/Poor Gabriel's Almanac poorgabriel@...

      **Memorial to a lost cause
      Group honors soldiers who fought for South
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/4-e346706b.html
      Birmingham News 4 June 2001

      **Hope comes to small town
      Good jobs, safe and affordable housing, strong schools and a reliable sewage
      system have been a dream in Annemanie [some history in this article!]
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/4-e321825b.html
      Birmingham News 4 June 2001

      **Thousands of Hank fans from around world flock to Georgiana
      http://www.al.com/news/mobile/?Jun2001/4-a428076a.html
      Mobile Register 4 June 2001

      **Who was Jefferson Davis? Question stumps some people
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/4-e7255.html
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2001

      **Gurley Baptist church celebrates 125 years
      Congregation dresses in period clothes, recalls history, looks to future
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/4-e36991.html
      Huntsville Times 4 June 2001

      **State's Sephardic Jewish community disappearing
      http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/?Jun2001/3-e213941a.html
      Birmingham News 3 June 2001

      **Stevenson Depot Days Festival is on track for fun this week
      20th event will have antique vehicles, music and logging contest
      http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/?Jun2001/3-e16092.html
      Huntsville Times 3 June 2001

      [note to any subscribers who read this far: IS anyone actually reading these
      listings??--aj]
    • John Hardin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6, 2001
        <<<<<<[note to any subscribers who read this far: IS anyone actually reading these
        listings??--aj]>>>>>>>>>

        YES!!! And we appreciate it!
      • Denise J
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2001
          I agree. I read every Posting.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2001
            Dear AJ: In answer to your question, "Is anybody reading these things?", I
            want you to know that, although I don't always read every word, I found that
            particular page very interesting and opened most items and read them. I
            usually read some of each page you send. I enjoy the daily record of Alabama
            history. I did not read everything about George Wallace's stand in the
            schoolhouse door because I remember that day as though it were last
            month--well actually better than I remember last month! Maybe, I'll have a
            chance to tell you about that day in my life sometime.

            I really look forward to your daily missiles. Keep 'em comin'.

            Grandma Edith

          • Krista Burroughs
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 7, 2001
              I read the posts, too. I lack time to participate but am a happy and
              appreciative lurker.

              Krista