Destruction of Civil War Sites- North AL

  • HoytCagle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2001
      The new interstate highway being planned across North AL will completely
      destroy numerous Civil War sites in multiple counties.  In Lawrence County
      alone the corridor will obliberate most of Brown's Ferry, not only the site
      of much Civil War history, but possessing a documented history to at least
      1770.  Another Lawrence casualty will be the site of Fort Rose, built by
      slave labor in 1862 by soldiers of the 51st Illinois. Several other pristine
      sites in this one county are slated for destruction. Multiply all of these by
      several counties and you will begin to realize that we are about to lose more
      of our heritage and history in the space of the next very few years than we
      have in the preceding 130+ years. I urge all CW buffs, historians, etc, to
      look about them, to think about it, and to get involved.
    • Margaret Storey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2001
        I'd like to find out more about this issue--is there a group opposing the highway to whom I could speak? Or a group that is advocating the new highway? Any information to make it easier to contact interested parties would be very helpful.
        Best regards,
        Margaret Storey
        Assistant Professor
        DePaul University
        Chicago, IL

        >>> HoytCagle@... 05/26/01 04:43 AM >>>
        Message 3 of 3 , May 31, 2001
          You could start with the Alabama Dept of Transportation; web site at

          http://www.dot.state.al.us/

          Seems like the Bham News recently ran an article on CW sites in Alabama and
          the lack of attention they get since so few "major" battles took place in
          the state...I saved it; let me now see if I can find it...you can search the
          Bham News archive at

          http://www.bhamnews.com/archive.html

          This problem is of course not unique to Alabama...many states with more
          prominent sites have well organized preservation efforts...maybe there is
          some national group as well???

          --aj wright // ajwright@...

[...]

          An archive of messages for this list since September 1998 can be viewed at
          http://www.yahoogroups.com/archive/alabamahistory