Jesse Owens Park and Museum

  • HoytCagle@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18 5:05 AM
      The following is from the Ohio State Alumni Magazine, May 2001, page 4:

      A memorial park honoring Jesse Owens is under threat in Lawrence County,
      Alabama.  Despite the support of many area citizens, Lawrence County
      commissioners -- who have a history of resisting attempts to honor Jesse
      Owens -- recently have cut funding for the park.  The park was dedicated
      in 1996 by the governor of Alabama with the Owens family and some 10,000
      other people in attendance.  I visited the beautiful park while working
      on a book on Bessie Smith.  During that research, I worked closely with
      Hoyt Cagle at the Lawrence County archives who last year was instrumental
      in placing a county historical marker with the history of Jesse Owens at
      the park site.

          I am proud to say that my grandfather was a member of the athletic
      board at Ohio State University during the years Jesse Owens attended.

          I hope alumni and friends of Ohio State will support the citizens
      in Lawrence County, Alabama, who are trying to preserve their park in
      honor of their native son, Jesse Owens.  For more information, contact
      HoytCagle@....

      Sara Grimes
      Amherst, Mass