Re: Documentary

  • Edith Shores
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 1999
      I watched ALABAMA RETURN and found the reaction of the students to life
      in rural Alabama very interesting. I couldn't help wondering if anybody
      explained to them that except for the problem with voting there were
      many white residents of Alabama and other southern states who lived in
      similar circumstances.

      I was brought up to abhor unfair treatment of anyone. My brother-in-law
      was the only doctor in rural Coosa County (still rural) in the 30's 40's
      and 50's. As a high school student I often made calls with him and
      learned to love the patients, both black and white, all of whom were
      treated equally by their doctor and his family.

      Incidentally, he also helped see to it that black voters in Coosa County
      were registered and voted before there were any outsiders who came south
      to help with this very real problem.

      The program brought back many memories for me. I am glad I watched it.

      Edith Shores