Re: Documentary

  • Debbie Pendleton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 1999
      Thanks to Mike for the info. I saw the show and found it very interesting. I found myself wanting to hear more from the former pupils. I'm very glad the producer decided to plan the reunion and make a show about it.
      Any other comments out there?

      Debbie Pendleton
      Assistant Director for Public Services
      Alabama Department of Archives and History
      PO Box 300100
      Montgomery, AL 36130
      dpendlet@...
      http://www.archives.state.al.us
    • Edith Shores
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 1999
        I watched ALABAMA RETURN and found the reaction of the students to life
        in rural Alabama very interesting. I couldn't help wondering if anybody
        explained to them that except for the problem with voting there were
        many white residents of Alabama and other southern states who lived in
        similar circumstances.

        I was brought up to abhor unfair treatment of anyone. My brother-in-law
        was the only doctor in rural Coosa County (still rural) in the 30's 40's
        and 50's. As a high school student I often made calls with him and
        learned to love the patients, both black and white, all of whom were
        treated equally by their doctor and his family.

        Incidentally, he also helped see to it that black voters in Coosa County
        were registered and voted before there were any outsiders who came south
        to help with this very real problem.

        The program brought back many memories for me. I am glad I watched it.

        Edith Shores