FW: [southernfolklorists] Southern Foodways Encyclopedia: Call fo r Contributors

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2001
      fyi...aj wright // ajwright@...

      Please respond directly to Mr. Edge; I have forwarded this message from the
      southernfolklorists list...he is not a subscriber to alabamahistory....

      From: margaret@...
      2. Re: Family Cemeteries
      From: joe wilson <joe@...>
      3. Re: Family Cemeteries
      From: DrewsMuse@...
      4. Re: Family Cemeteries
      From: "Anne" <anne@...>
      5. Re: Family Cemeteries
      From: Douglas Day <dday@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:28:50 -0000
      From: margaret@...
      Subject: Family Cemeteries

      Good Monday,
      Noticed something that I though was rather unusual on my way home from
      Raleigh yesterday. I wasn't really watching where I was going and got
      off on exit before I usually do. Thought to myself, "No problem, it
      is still light and will give me time to see stuff I usually wiz by.

      In my area you become used to seeing family cemeteries. Often the
      home(s) they belonged to are long gone, and the cemetery sits along at
      the side of a highway or enlarged road, hidden in the woods, or even
      at the side of a new housing development or apartment complex. These
      family plots often contain interesting markers and I know many of us
      "haunt" them. Well folks, yesterday driving on NC 903 about a half
      mile West of Interstate 40, I found one incorporated into a golf
      course. This was a first for me, and I wondered if anyone else had
      noticed family plots in "unusual" settings. As I understand North
      Carolina law, the title to these small plots of land remain in hands
      of the original land owner along with an access strip, and it is a
      rather lengthy process to have the title revert to the new owner
      showing proof of neglect or abandonment in court.

      Margaret
      P.S.
      Didn't have my camera, sorry.

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:29:36 -0500
      From: joe wilson <joe@...>
      Subject: Re: Family Cemeteries

      The little Grant family cemetery, with headstones dating from the 1850s to
      the early 1900s. is enclosed within the Roan Valley Golf Course south of
      Mountain City, Tenn. Joe Wilson

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:26:35 EST
      From: DrewsMuse@...

      My grandfather's family cemetery (Merrit/Stephan) in Louisville KY, is also
      on a golf course- Iroquois golf course I think. Many stones have been stolen
      and vandalized, and we have to be VERY careful when we visit (so we don't
      get
      hit in the head with a flying golf ball). It's enclosed in some chain link
      fence and that's about it, but there are only one or two intact gravestones
      left. I'm ot sure who owns it or takes care of it, looks like no one does
      really.
      Tami Harbolt

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:53:16 -0600
      From: "Anne" <anne@...>

      About 14 years ago when I did some site visits in Western, N.C. someone
      pointed out a family cemetery that was incorporated into a tourist theme
      park. He said that the park was required to allow the family access to the
      gravesites. I'm trying to remember which tourist attraction it was. I want
      to say Ghost Town, but that may just be my overactive imagination at work.
      I think I was near Boone, N.C. on that trip. Maybe some of you North
      Carolinians can help me out. I bet Tom McGowin would know. Perhaps he was
      even the person who mentioned it.

      Anne Kimzey

      Alabama Center for Traditional Culture
      410 N. Hull Street
      Montgomery, AL 36104

      334) 242-3601

      anne@...

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:03:03 +0000
      From: Douglas Day <dday@...>

      Anne:

      I see you're reattached to southernfolklorists. Are the rest of 'bama
      gang resubscribed? I haven't gotten to doing anything yet at my end.
      Maybe the situation fixed itself?

      D.

      --
      Douglas Day, M.A., Ph.D.